Chapter Two - Breakeven.

"Alec!" Isabelle said as she walked into the kitchen, "What are you doing?!" Alec didn't reply, his face was pressed against the marble and he was slouched in his stool, "Alec?" Isabelle asked cautiously as she stepped closer to him. Yawning, Jace followed behind her, he blinked several times before cursing loudly. "Jace!" Isabelle reprimanded him; Jace shot her a look and rushed over to Alec's side, muttering, "I shouldn't have left him! I shouldn't have fallen asleep!"
"What are you talking about?!" Isabelle demanded, "Tell me!"
"He was depressed, I found him in the corridor. By the Angel!" Jace yelled rushing round to stare at his Parabatai's closed eyelids.
"Oh for God's sake Jace! He wouldn't kill himself! Look at your flaming rune!" Isabelle yelled back, rolling her eyes. Jace moved the shoulder of his pyjamas back to look at the Parabatai rune on his left collarbone. "Oh!" He exclaimed, blinking, when he realised that the rune hadn't faded.

"Idiot!" Isabelle snarled, "And you call yourself Alec's Parabatai!"
"You thought the same thing as me!" Jace retorted, stepping closer to Isabelle.
"Ew! Your breath stinks! Have you been drinking?!" Isabelle moaned, taking a step away from Jace, banging the small of her back on another counter.
"Oh so what?!" Jace argued back.
"Oh stop arguing." Alec moaned, through a yawn as he sat up stretching, his tense muscles cracking from his awkward sleep across the kitchen counter. "You're giving me a headache!"
"So you are alive then?" Jace asked, clasping tightly onto his Parabatai's shoulder. Alec groaned, shrugging off Jace's hand as he clambered awkwardly to his feet, watching as Isabelle made herself a cup of tea. "If you're making drinks, I'll have one please." Alec said. Isabelle didn't reply, causing Alec to frown, normally she would have snapped something along the lines of: "Make your own." or "I'm not your servant!" Instead she just grabbed another cup from the sideboard and filled it with coffee.

She handed the cup silently to Alec, keeping her back turned away from him. Alec glanced at Jace who shrugged. Isabelle's shoulders shook. "Iz? Izzy? What's wrong?" Alec asked tentatively, stepping towards his sister.
"Don't. Nothing." Isabelle said restrained tears clear in her voice as she clasped her cup of tea in her hands. Alec yawned, "Okay. We'll talk later okay?" Isabelle nodded. Alec yawned again, "By the Angel I'm exhausted." He said, sipping from the warm coffee.
"I'm not surprised after you had your wicked way with me last night!" Jace smirked, causing both Alec and Isabelle to choke on a mouthful of their drinks in shock.
"What?!" Alec yelled, almost dropping his mug of coffee, Isabelle's eyes flickered from Jace to Alec, confusion and amusement on her face.
"Don't say you wouldn't want to." Jace said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively, "I mean who wouldn't?"
"Self-obsessed, intoxicated Mundane." Alec muttered jovially.
"OFFENCE!!! You called me a Mundane!!! I. Am. Not. A. Mundane!" Jace yelled; pointing an accusatory finger at Alec, who just shrugged. Alec moved towards the kitchen, "If you don't mind I'm going for a shower. And Jace." He paused as Jace looked around, "Izzy was right." He laughed as Jace stuck his tongue out at him.

Jace stood watching Alec as the dark haired Shadowhunter left the room. "You really are stupid sometimes Jace." Isabelle laughed, clutching onto her cup of tea.
"I am not! I was... concerned." Jace countered, "Now if you'll excuse me I have a huge headache I would rather get rid of." And he too stormed from the room leaving Isabelle alone. He kicked the door to his room open; slammed it behind him, groaning when his head throbbed painfully. His insides were churning like a tumble dryer, seeing Alec as he had last night and again this morning was affecting him a lot more than Jace would have thought. He hated seeing Alec so depressed and upset, then the hope on his face when his phone rang only to be diminished minutes later. 'Oh Alec. If only there was some way I could help you. My friend. My brother.' He thought, lying back on his bed; gripping his stele tightly in his left hand began to draw an Iratze on his right forearm.

'That could have gone worse.' Magnus thought to himself as stared at his phone, cautiously aware that Alec may call again. 'No... It could have been better...' He added, 'Nope. I'm not saying this right at all. I give up.' He backed away from his phone, rubbing his eyes. He hadn't slept. Not since the conversation with Alec, he had tried not to let the pain show in his voice when he had answered the call; it had been so hard. Magnus scooped his cat up into his arms, burying his face into his cat's fur. "What will I do Chairman Meow? What should I do?" Chairman Meow, turning his face around to stare at his owner before meowing loudly. "You liked him didn't you?" Magnus asked, sitting down on the sofa with the cat on his lap. The cat rubbed his face against Magnus's face. Magnus sighed, "He was the only one to understand. After you, of course. But I can't go back." He set Chairman Meow down on the sofa again and left the room, he needed coffee and he was going to make it himself this time. No more summoning things, at least no more this morning.

Magnus clasped the warm cup in his hands, taking comfort from its warmth like he might have done if Al-. 'You've got to stop acting like this! You are Magnus Bane, you throw parties, and you're loud and flamboyant. You've fallen in love with Shadowhunters before.' Magnus thought sitting down on the sofa again.
'But none of them were like Alec.' His conscience reckoned.
"Shut up!" Magnus snapped verbally to himself as his cat gave him a reproachful look. "You are going to go out, and find yourself somebody new. Somebody trustworthy!"
'Great, you're talking to yourself now! Way to head straight down the road to crazy town with a one way ticket. You need to get out of Brooklyn after tonight.' He thought, snapping his fingers he sent everything out of his apartment and began to prepare himself for his night out at the Pandemonium nightclub.

"Alec?" Isabelle called knocking on her brother's bedroom door. "Alec? Are you in there?" She knocked again; just as she was about to knock for a third time, the door swung open revealing Alec dressed in sweatpants but no shirt so far, his dark hair hung limply, dripping water into his blue eyes. "What is it?" He asked, looking over at Isabelle.
"You said to talk later. It's later. Can we talk?" Isabelle asked, looking up at her brother her eyes were glassy. Alec frowned slightly before nodding; stepping back so she could enter his room. Isabelle glanced around, Alec's room had changed quite considerably since he and Magnus had broken up. The photos of him and Magnus that had once been stuck on the walls had gone leaving empty blank spaces in their place. The photo that had been on Alec's bedside table had been removed leaving the one of the whole Lightwood family in its place. "I know what you're looking for." Alec muttered from behind her as he pulled on a tattered grey shirt. "You won't find them. I got rid of them." Isabelle nodded, turning to face her brother, "What do you want to talk about?" He asked.

*****

"You won't find them. I got rid of them."
'Okay,' Alec thought, 'that was a complete and utter lie.' They were all hidden in the bottom of his wardrobe in a box. He couldn't bear to look at them up on the walls, so he had taken them down. Even looking at the box every time he went in his wardrobe was hard. Isabelle nodded turning to face him, she had let the matter drop for now, "What do you want to talk about?" Alec asked.
"How are you?" Isabelle asked as the two of them sat side by side on Alec's bed. "Fine, I guess." Alec muttered, staring down at his bare feet.
"Oh, come on Alec! You are so not fine! Just trust me; tell me." Isabelle countered, Alec shrugged.

"I don't know." He said, still refusing to look at her, "Some days I'm okay and others I feel like I've been smashed apart and glued back together incorrectly - with pieces missing." Isabelle nodded but didn't say anything. A silence fell between them, companionable.
"I know what you mean, Alec, really I do." Isabelle said finally, breaking the silence. "When Simon cheated on me with Maia."
"Don't remind me. I still need to hit him for that." Alec grumbled.
"No, you don't. Because we got through it and sorted out our problems. The same will happen for you and Magnus!"
"Then why do I feel like I'm falling to pieces?" Alec asked, looking at Isabelle finally.
"Because when hearts break, they don't break even."