Chapter Twenty Four - Chiquitita.

Alec ducked behind a tall marble counter in the nightclub, hoping against all odds that Magnus hadn't spotted him. He sunk to the floor with his forehead resting on his knees; he let the tears fall. Magnus had moved on and found someone new and Alec was left alone cast aside like a old toy that no child wanted to play with. There was a scrapping noise from the other side of the counter but he didn't look up until Jace's head popped into view over the top. Alec stared blankly at him as Jace said, "Chiquitita tell me the truth. How I hate to see such sorrow. Please don't make me sing the rest of this terrible song."

Alec laughed, "What are you doing?"

"Trying to cheer you up. Did it work?" Jace asked.

"Maybe a few more verses would." Alec suggested, "What are you standing on anyway?"

"Well, I couldn't find Julie Walters anywhere around here so it was either Isabelle or the barstool." Jace said with a grin, "Strangely Isabelle didn't want to be stood on."

Alec laughed, "How do you know that song anyway?"

"Clary made me watch it with her one time." Jace answered with a shrug, "Are you going to come out? Or do I have to stand here singing all night?"

"Um... maybe a bit more singing will convince me." Alec shrugged. Jace hurdled over the counter and sat in front of his Parabatai. "I think that's enough singing." Jace said as he crossed his legs on the floor, he sighed, "That can't have been easy."

Alec sighed with a shake of his head, a dry forced laugh escaping his lips, "Demonology homework is easy. Putting up with your mood swings is easy. That. Was. Not. Easy. It was harder than you can imagine!"

"I understand." Jace muttered, his golden eyes staring at Alec.

"No you don't, Jace! You don't understand at all! You've never had to witness something like that! You've never been hated or shunned because of who you are!! Everyone looks up to you!!!" Alec yelled, tucking his head into his knees as his shoulders shook with sobs. Jace shuffled over to sit beside his Parabatai, taking one of Alec's hands in his own.

He lent his head on Alec's shoulder. "It's okay," He whispered, "we're okay. We are."

"No Jace. No we're not." Alec murmured as his sobs began to slow down.

"Maybe not now, not this week, maybe not even this month but we will be, Alec. You have to trust me on this. I will always be here to pick up the pieces when you break. You just have to trust me. Do you? Do you trust me?" Alec nodded his head slowly, Jace sighed, "I need to hear it Alexander."

"I trust you Jace." Alec mumbled.

"There you two are!" Isabelle exclaimed as she peered over the top of the counter, "I've been looking all over for you!" Her eyes locked on Alec, "Alec?" When he didn't reply, Jace pointed over her shoulder at Magnus, Isabelle glanced over her jaw clenching shut. "That stupid dumb son of a -" Jace made a cutting notion across his throat as Alec glanced up at Isabelle, she hurriedly got the memo from Jace and let her anger fade into silence.

"Let's go home, Alec." Isabelle smiled sympathetically as she walked around the side of the counter to help Alec to his feet. "I don't know where home is anymore." Alec whispered, his eyes looked red and sore from all the crying he had done that night.

"It's with us." Jace replied, "With a nice hot bath and a good nights sleep, you'll feel better in the morning."

"Hopefully this will all just be a dream." Alec retorted, Jace winced at the pain in Alec's tone. He hated hearing Alec sound so defeated and hurt. Alec clambered awkwardly to his feet, held onto tightly on either side by Jace and Isabelle. They walked out of the hotel together - followed by Clary - and into the cold night air to call a taxi.