Chapter Eighteen - Keep Holding On.

"Sebastian Morgenstern?" Gabriel Ravenwood questioned, finally speaking and breaking the silence that had fallen between the London Shadowhunters. "Not Valentine Morgenstern's son!"
"How many other boys do you know with their first name as Sebastian and surname as Morgenstern, Gabriel?" Jahoel snapped at his younger brother. "So what do we do?"
"Or a better question would be what does he want and why is he here?" Evangeline asked, everyone's eyes were pinpointed onto the Ashwells. "We don't know." Michael replied, "But our best option is to defend our home and stay calm."
"Awesome! A battle!" Cortana and Elijah echoed cradling their weapons to their chests, faces illuminated with glee and excitement.
"No, you will not be joining this battle Cortana." Evangeline snapped, "You will stay here with Elijah and Gabriel!"
"I agree." Jahoel replied.
"What?!" Elijah, Cortana and Gabriel screamed in frustration.
"We have -" Cortana started.
"As much right to battle as you do!" Elijah finished.

Gabriel shot them a grin, "You know, it's really cute how you two finish each other's sentence."
"Shut up Gabe!" Elijah snapped, his cheekbones tinged with pink. "Besides we are sixteen! We should be allowed to fight." Cortana nodded in agreement.
"I will not see you hurt. You will stay here." Jahoel and Evangeline snapped, following after the Ashwells who were already heading for the door. Gabriel threw himself down onto the floor as the door shut, "That's it then. There's nothing else we can do."
"Never took you for a quitter Gabe." Elijah snarled, "No, we are going out there and we are going to fight!"
"We've been trained to kill demons since we were small. Even if they are led by Sebastian Morgenstern. We will stand, we will fight and we will not quit! If we fall, we fall for the most noblest of causes!" Cortana yelled, blushing when she finally realised that both Elijah and Gabriel were staring at her.
"Now that... was inspirational," Gabriel said, "let's go!"

He headed towards the doors of the training room and stepped out into the corridor. As Cortana made to move, Elijah caught a hold of her elbow and she turned to face him. His eyes were staring at the floor unwilling to look up at her, his brow furrowed as he fought to speak his mind. "What is it?" Cortana asked.
"I just... if we die..." Elijah started.
"We won't." Cortana stated, "We won't fall in this battle."
"But if we do... I... I want you to know... I love you." Elijah stammered, his face glowing a deep scarlet as Cortana stared at him with her mouth wide open.
"I know it's against the whole Parabatai Oath. You know, the whole Parabatai are not permitted to fall in love with each other, but I don't care. I love you." Elijah said, with a small smile finally looking up at Cortana through his eyelashes. He stepped forward and brushed his lips against hers. "How do you feel?"
"I... We..." Cortana stammered; with a sigh she started again, "We should go after Gabriel." She blurted, then felt like slapping herself in the face as the smile fell from Elijah's lips.
"Okay. Yeah." He said, stepping back away from her and exiting the room.
'Damn! Damn! DAMN!' Cortana screamed internally, 'He tells me that he loves me, yet I can't find the words to say it back. But I love you Elijah Kevin Ravenwood, I love you!'

"I just... if we die..." Elijah started.
"We won't." Cortana stated, "We won't fall in this battle."
"But if we do... I... I want you to know... I love you." Elijah stammered, his face glowing a deep scarlet as Cortana stared at him with her mouth wide open.
"I know it's against the whole Parabatai Oath. You know, the whole Parabatai are not permitted to fall in love with each other, but I don't care. I love you." Elijah said, with a small smile finally looking up at Cortana through his eyelashes. He stepped forward and brushed his lips against hers. "How do you feel?"
"I... We..." Cortana stammered; with a sigh she started again, "We should go after Gabriel." She blurted, and the smile fell from Elijah's lips.
"Okay. Yeah." He said, stepping back away from her and exiting the room. He lent against the wall for a moment and slapped himself in the forehead, 'Well done Elijah, way to make a fool of yourself! She's your Parabatai. She doesn't even see you like that and what did you do?! You had to go and make yourself look like an idiot!' He thought, slapping a hand to his forehead again.