Speak Your Mind (Renjun)

You were coming down the stairwell, trying to get to your class when you heard his voice.  Renjun had such a distinct voice, so you always heard him before you saw him.  You sped up the pace, taking two stairs at a time, but then you heard a girl's laughter, and your heart dropped.

"You're actually so funny," you heard Renjun tell the girl.  "I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while!"

Your heart sunk even more.  Renjun was your best friend.  The two of you knew basically everything about each other, so there was a possibility you'd never be able to date just because your relationship was so strong.  Plus you weren't the police.  You couldn't go around controlling who Renjun talked to.  

You backed down the stairwell, deciding to take another route to class.  It was funny how you and Renjun weren't even together, yet your heart hurt.  Why were you so concerned?  You should just be happy being his friend.  

"Hey, Y/N!"  You heard his voice again.  Forcing a smile, you waved at Renjun letting him approach you.  "Wait, are you okay?  You look sad."

You nodded.  "I'm just not feeling well."

"You should go home and rest," Renjun told you while he placed a hand on your forehead to check for a fever.  "You're not hot."

"You didn't have to remind me," you mumbled under your breath.

"I'll come over after school, and I'll make sure you feel better.  I can make porridge.  My mom recently taught me her secret recipe," the boy beamed.

"Sure," you answered meekly, walking into your class and taking a seat at the very back.  Usually, you sat with Renjun at the front, but he could tell something else was wrong.  He didn't want to push you for an answer, so he just went ahead and took his spot in the front, leaving you alone at the back.

You lay your head down on the desk, wishing the day could be over already and that you could go home and let it all out without having to worry about anyone watching.  This wasn't a big deal, but why did it feel like a big deal?  

You forced yourself to pay attention and take notes, but your heart really wasn't in it.  As soon as the bell rang, you grabbed your things and left, hoping you could catch the bus to go home before Renjun had a chance to follow you.  Maybe distancing yourself from him would help.  

When you got home, you collapsed on the sofa, trying to sort out your feelings.  Just a year ago, you had started developing a small crush on Renjun.  Since then, your feelings kept growing the more you hung out with him.  It had gotten to the point where you were thinking of him almost every second of the day.  It was a problem but not a problem you had minded until today.  

Someone rang your doorbell, and your stomach started turning, knowing that it was either the mailman or Renjun, but the latter seemed most likely since you weren't expecting any packages.  Your instincts had been right.  Renjun stood in front of you with a tub of ice cream in his hands and his goofy smile on his face.  

"You're gonna let me in right?" he joked, and you cracked a small smile, allowing him to come in.

"You brought ice cream?" you asked, watching him set down the tub on the coffee table in the living room.  

"Of course.  Now tell me what's bothering you.  You aren't sick."

You had been caught.  "Fine, I'm not sick.  And something is bothering me.  Pass me the ice cream, and I'll tell you a story."

Renjun nudged the tub in your direction and you smiled.  "So there's this guy I really like," you started, and immediately your heart started pounding.  Why were you telling the guy you liked this?  Renjun would never understand.

"Keep going," Renjun encouraged you.

"Right.  So there's this guy I like.  I think it's been almost a year, now.  But I don't have the courage to tell him about how I feel, but now I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me.  He's always talking to other girls.  And I can't do anything about it because we aren't dating."

Renjun shook his head.  "Whoever that guy is, he sounds like a jerk.  You're probably better off without him.  If he ever makes you feel like this again, I'll personally go beat him up."

You laughed, picturing Renjun beating up himself.  "Please do."

"So while we're on the topic, can I tell you about my problem, too?  There's this girl.  She's super funny, really smart, and she's just overall awesome.  I don't know how to tell her that.  I was planning on asking her out today, but now I'm not sure of her feeling either.  I asked this other girl for advice on what to say, but she wasn't really that helpful."

Your heart felt like it was being shattered as you thought about the girl in the stairwell.  "You like someone?  Well, you could start by telling them how you feel.  If you really like them, it'll come out naturally and be really genuine."

Renjun took a deep breath.  "Y/N, I really like you.  You've always been there for me, and you've seen me at my best and worst.  It's okay if you don't feel the same.  I can try and get over my feelings, but I just wanted to let you know that you mean so much to me.  I don't think I can hide my feelings much longer."

You clapped.  "See?  It came out so naturally!  Now all you have to do is stay calm and tell her that when you next see her."

Renjun sighed.  "I guess I just got rejected."

"Wait what?  You were being serious?"  Your jaw nearly dropped to the floor.  Renjun began standing up ready to leave.

"Yeah.  But like I said, there's no pressure.  Um, besides... you have that guy you like."

You laughed, "Renjun, you are the guy I like!"  You ran to him, hugging him from behind and letting your cheeks grow pink at the contact.

He he turned around, booping your nose.  "Is that so?  Well, that was more complicated than it should have been."

You leaned into his side, "Tell me about it.  You know how much sleep I lost because I was thinking about whether I should keep liking you or just stay your friend?"

Renjun pinched your cheek.  "That sounds way too familiar.  I kept losing sleep, too, until I realized that I could have both."

---

A/N: Thanks Kay131313 for requesting this!  Renjun is such an underrated member in my opinion, but he went off in "We Go Up", and I was living for it!  

Question of the imagine: How do you cheer up your best friends when they're sad or sick or not 100%?  I always bring them their favorite food or hangout with them and make them laugh.  :)