39.

Elliot's P.O.V

"Thank you" I smiled to the guy who had just paid for the stuff he bought.

He flashed me a grin and walked away. He was cute. Dark hair and blue eyes. I looked down at the money only to realize he had slipped his number with it.

Well too bad that would go to waste. I put the money into the register and crumbled up the paper, throwing it away.

The bell on the door rang again and in walked SodaPop. He walked to the back and picked up a water, bringing it up to the counter and paying for it.

As I was putter the money into the cashier I looked up to see a tired SodaPop. "Soda ... you look awfully tired. You outta get some more sleep".

He shook his head and rolled it around a little bit "I'll be fine, I've gotten enough sleep".

I looked down "no ones gotten much sleep. How about you head on to my room tonight? I know it's a little different sleeping alone" I half-smiled.

He looked up at me and shrugged "alright, only tonight I don't wanna keep you up".

"Like you could keep me up" I joked, grinning softly.

He grinned a little. At least I got him to grin.

"Go get back to work" I smiled softly. He uncapped his water and gulped some of it down, walking back outside to the garage.

I looked to Evie was was standing next to the register "I wish he could get some sleep ... I know he's worried about Ponyboy and I am too, but ..." I sighed.

Evie half-smiled "just give em some time, from the time I've known SodaPop he's barley been stressed or at least never shown it. I think he just needs his girlfriend right now"

"I know, I wanna be here for him. He's just starting to worry me." I wish I could tell Evie that I knew where Pony and Johnny are ... but I can't even tell SodaPop. "I wish somehow I could get Ponyboy back here for em".

"I know doll" Evie ran a hand through her hair "well" she sighed "I needa get goin'. I'm suppose to be watching my little brother"

"Alright, I'll see you later" I smiled to her as she walked out the DX. Evie was about my only girl friend in Tulsa, I liked being able to talk to her.

~*~

After I locked the door to the DX I threw the keys back to SodaPop like always. He caught them and put them back in his pocket.

"Hey, I saw Evie visited you earlier" Steve said as we began walking "she visited me after".

"Yeah she did" I smiled softly "she's real great Steve, it's good to have another girl to talk to".

"What you don't like talkin to us guys?" Soda joked.

I chuckled "I love you guys, but your not the best to talk to about girl stuff" I pointed out.

"She's not wrong" Steve chimed in.

After a few more minutes of walking we finally made it up to the Curtis's house. We walked in and as always everyone was in there, except Ponyboy and Johnny. It just didn't feel right without them.

"Hey Elliot, you got mail" Darry said as I walked to my room. I changed into a plain shirt and walked back out to where the nail was laying.

I looked through it until I found a letter addressed to me.

I picked it up and looked to see who it was from. I didn't know the person or the address.

I ripped the envelope open and tore out the letter. I threw the envelope on the table and opened the letter. I read through it, becoming more and more mad by the second.

"Bullshit!" I yelled angrily causing everyone to turn and look at me.

"Elliot ... you okay?" Soda asked.

I gasped softly and threw the letter down, running a hand through my hair. "My parents are taking my custody to court." I laughed bitterly "because I wouldn't go back with my mom".

The room stayed silent, I hated that. I hated this.

                                    ~*~

I paced back and forth, my head in my hands and silent tears running down my face. I skipped work today because I didn't feel very good. I felt like I was gonna throw up.

Next I know the door flew open and in walked Dallas along with a couple guys behind him.

"Dallas what am I gonna do!?" I sobbed, picking up the letter and shoving it to him.

"Hey Elliot, chill out" he replied.

When I'm stressed out, don't get me mad. "Chill out? Chill out! I'm sorry your not the one who's gonna be FORCED to go back to Mew York with some parents that don't give a shit about you" I yelled.

He sighed, I know he saw the fiery look in my eyes "Elliot, it'll be okay. Listen I'll testify ya know".

"Cause they'll totally take your word for it ... and who are they?!" I scoffed.

"That's Curly and Tim Shepherd" he answered.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath "Dallas, what the hell am I gonna do? I don't wanna leave here. I can't leave you or Two-Bit or Darry or Steve. And especially not Ponyboy, Johnny, or SodaPop" I gasped another deep breath.

Dallas grimaced and threw the letter back on the table "I don't know Ella, we'll figure out something".

I pulled out a chair at the table and plopped down. "This fuckin sucks".

"I know, but hey all the guys can say somethin'. They like havin' you around and you'll be eighteen next year and be able to make your own decisions" he pointed out.

"Dallas ... what if that isn't enough?" I asked softly.

He half-smiled, I know his reputation in front of these guys was important. "Worst case, you'll have to come back after a year".

I shrugged. I didn't like the thought of it, but if I had to, then I had to. I wish I could stop this somehow. We had bigger issues right now though. Johnny and Ponyboy.

I looked down to the paper in Dallas's hand. He handed it to me. I took it from him and there they were on the front cover.

I wished those other two guys would leave so I could talk to Dallas about them.

As if they read my mind Tim spoke up "we better get goin'" he waved to us as the two walked back out of the house.

"When are you goin' to get those two boys?"  I wondered.

"I'm gonna go up there tomorrow ... wanna go with?" He asked as I set the paper down on the table.

I shook my head "I better not, I don't need Soda being suspicious. I hate lying to him especially about Ponyboy. SodaPop hasn't gotten any sleep this week."

"I know ya care about him, El but ya really can't tell him" Dallas took a deep breath.

"I know" I snapped "I just don't like not telling him" I sighed, running a hand down my face.

"It's really gonna be fine, you'll be fine, Ponyboy and Johnny will be fine okay" he tried to assure me.

I just nodded, I wasn't sure how else to react. It didn't feel like everything was gonna be okay.