21.

Elliot's P.O.V
{this chapter is short!}

Today was my last day of suspension and I had to say I was sad it was coming to an end. I was still thinking about dropping out I just didn't know when the right time would be.

But I decided it was time to give an answer. I walked out dressed in my work clothes and sure enough the gang was there.

"I'm dropping out" I finally said "I mean once school officially ends for the year, I'm gonna drop out" I said casually.

And everyone kinda just accepted it, I mean not that they would've changed my mind anyways.

I looked over to the fridge and at the calendar and realized it's December 22nd. Which was really close to Christmas and I hadn't even realized. Not that I really celebrated it anyways.

But now that I'm thinking about it, I kinda wanna get the guys something. I was already planning on it actually. I was giving Darry a lot of my pay checks to help with bills but the other halves I had saved up for this.

I'm not into all that sappy shit but ... I wanted to do this.

Like I said, they really were turning me soft.

"Ready for work Cherry?" Soda asked, getting up from his spot on the couch.

"Yeah I'm ready" I said and walked around to the door.

"I'll be in after school" Steve said.

Soda and I nodded and then walked out the door.

"I think imma go see Dal later on" I said as we began walking.

"Want me to go with you?" Soda asked.

I hesitated "do you think we should let him know about us?" I asked softly.

"He's gonna find out sooner or later, maybe nows the time ... especially since he can't jump me in jail" Soda laughed and rubbed the back of his neck.

I laughed "He's gonna get out of jail just to get put back in" I joked with him "hey I'm kidding, I don't think he'll mind too much"

                                       ~*~

"Hey Dallas" I said as Soda and I sat across from him.

"Hey Ell How ya holdin up?" Dallas leaned back in his chair.

"I'm doin real good" I nodded.

"How've you been Dal?" Soda asked.

He shrugged "few fights here and there but nothin spectacular" he grinned.

"Listen Dallas ... we, Soda and I we got something to talk to you about" I said and pressed my lips together.

"What are you two datin now?" He joked, laughing.

Soda and I looked to each other and back to Dallas. As he saw we were serious he quit laughing.

He looked from Soda to me and back to Soda.

"You're kidding" he said, unamused.

I rubbed the back of my neck "no uh, Soda asl me to be his girlfriend a couple days ago"

Dallas stared at Soda "boy are you lucky I'm in jail right now ... my sister? Come on man"

"Dallas, it's fine. It's nothin to worry about, I really care about Soda" I said and looked to Soda and smiled softly "seriously, It's fine Dally"

Dallas clenched his jaw but nodded and looked up to Soda "if you hurt her in anyway, I'll hurt you ya hear me? We're buds and all, but that's my sister"

"I hear ya Dal, don't worry" Soda said and looked to me "I wouldn't do anything to purposely hurt her"

Soda and I looked to each other and smiled softly like two idiots.

"Alright, alright enough with all that sappy shit" Dallas shook his head as if trying to get the image out of his head.

"I'll see you later Dallas okay? I'll be back soon" I said as Soda and I got up.

He nodded "I'll see you two sometime" he said and waved a bit.

We waved back and walked out of the building. I looked over to Soda "could've been worse" I suggested.

He chuckled "Yeah it could have, at least he knows".

"Dal wouldn't hurt you, you bein Darry's kid brother and part of the gang. He's just protective sometimes, trust me it's not the first time" I laughed a little "the first time when u was twelve and he was thirteen, he punched a kid in the face for making fun of me"

"Guess Theres more to Dally than a cold heart" Soda said.

I nodded softly "Dallas is tuff and all, but he's got more to em. He just doesn't let it show"