twenty five : schemes

Start from the beginning

"I really need your help. Please." I nervously checked my watch, hoping she would get on board with the plan as soon as possible before Autumn finished her class.

Faith rolled her eyes. "I'm leaving." She started to walk away but I caught her arm again, this time I didn't let go. "Look," she started and gave my hand on her arm a murdering look. "I'm not really into drama, if you can't man up and tell her that you no longer love her, then you're not the Tyler I know."

This was the hardest part. "That's the thing, Faith. I love her." I dropped my hand and shoved into my pocket. "I love her so much that I'm willing to let her go."

"Ty, your sentence didn't make sense. If you love her, then why the fuck are you letting her go?!" She started to get impatient and I was running out of time. Should I tell her? Would that be wise?

No. I shouldn't. But I didn't know what else to tell her either. "I made a mistake in the past. One big mistake that I took out of desperation." I was tired of lying to the people I cared about yet at the same time, telling them the truth would only make their lives in danger. In the end, I settled with telling her half of the truth, sparing her the crucial part. "This mistake is now haunting me and Autumn's life will be in danger if she stays with me."

I let out a huge sigh as I started to feel the weight of my own mistake. If only I hadn't gone on the wrong path. If only I hadn't met Santiano. Yet again, I couldn't really regret it. Without that job, my mom would've worked harder to provide both of us and I wouldn't have met Lucas, my best friend. And if I hadn't met Lucas, I wouldn't have met Hunter, my other best friend who was currently studying Mandarin in Taiwan with his girlfriend, Mey.

As much as it pained me right now, I couldn't regret the decision I'd made in the past. Moreover, regret would only burden my heart. There was nothing I could do to change the past, it would be wise to simply focus on the present time.

"Ty!"

I blinked and realized that Faith had been trying to get my attention for a while but I'd been too engrossed with my own mind to notice. "You were saying?"

Faith pursed her lips in annoyance but when she took a deep breath and sighed, I knew she'd do it. "I'll help you," said Faith, confirming my early prediction. "I don't know what kind of mistake you did or why did you think she'd be in danger, but I'll help you."

I was glad she didn't ask any further. We've known each other for years, she trusted me as much as I trusted her. "Thanks."

She shook her head. "Consider us even. You rescued me from a dreadful encounter with my asshole ex-boyfriend yesterday."

For a moment, I had no idea what she'd said. With so much going on right now and Autumn's face filled with heartbreak on my mind, I couldn't think clearly.

"I'm talking about Mario," added Faith as if she knew my unspoken question. "What an asshole. I hope I'll never see him again, or else I'll have to move out of New York." Her lips turned into a grin yet there was sadness in her eyes. "Maybe I should pack my bags and go back to Canada."

"Faith, Mario didn't-" I abruptly stopped as my eyes caught the sight of Autumn walking down the steps with a tall guy beside her. I was hoping they'd walk towards us yet they turned right once they hit the ground then sat on the wooden chairs. I watched Autumn taking books out of her bag while saying something that set the guy groaning.

"Is that her?" I heard Faith asking but I couldn't take my eyes off Autumn who was now laughing so I merely answered her with a nod. It only occurred to me now that I haven't seen her laughing so freely in a while and I missed the sound of her laughter. If only I could hear it from here. Again, I had no one else to blame but myself. I was the one who hurt her, I was the one who caused her pain, and the realization hit me hard.