Chapter 23

Luna

I couldn’t believe it.. I.. I just couldn’t!

Yes, Ydna irritated the heck out of me when he teased us, but he was still my friend..And.. I hadn’t known him that long.. I didn’t even know much about him.. Which made it worse..

 Even though I knew it was impossible, I kept trying.. Trying to bring him back.. I didn’t want him to go..He..

He gave his life to save us.. To protect US..

  And all I ever did was tell him to shut up or slapped him at some remark or…

 I didn’t even get to tell him how much he meant to me.. Just like Andy…

Tears fell from my face for the longest time, to the point I didn’t know if they would ever stop.

I just couldn’t face the fact that he was gone..

 So, giving up, I just placed my hand on the side of his face, looking down as I sobbed.

  “Ydna… I.. I’m so sorry.. I.. This is my fault… I.. I was the one who had given up.. And I..”

After that I lost it. I could do nothing, but sob and watch as the tears fell from my face to the ground, mixing with Ydna’s blood…

  After what felt like an eternity, I heard Andy speak. “W-We should...give him...a proper burial...That’s all we can do for him now…”

 His words snapped me back into reality, and I couldn’t even reply to him.. I didn’t know what to say anymore..

It’s like.. My voice died with him.. Or something like that..

 Standing, I just looked away from Ydna’s lifeless body, trying to control my emotions..

I have never cried so much in my life…

 Andy picked up Ydna’s body and just stared at it. I could tell that, even though he was done crying, he was still completely devastated. “Come on...we need to find a place to bury him...so he can rest in peace…”

I only nodded, afraid to even try and speak.

 Although, I did have something to say. But I decided to hold onto it, and mention it later.

About an hour later, we had found a place. It wasn’t too far from the house, but it was far enough away so that we wouldn’t be walking past him every day.

 We buried him, covering his face with the cloak he was wearing before we put the dirt over him.

Andy said a few words, kind of like a eulogy, but I couldn’t really hear him...I was just staring at Ydna’s makeshift grave with a blank stare. I wanted to cry again, but I had done enough of that. Finally, we started to walk away. I don’t think Andy felt like flying because he kept his wings neatly tucked beneath his shirt and kept his hands in his pockets, looking down at the ground as we walked.

 Trying to break the silence, I finally decided to bring up what I thought of a few minutes ago.

 “I promise, Ydna…. I promise to bring down every single lab.. And take the life of every scientist involved in this sick and twisted game… I promise.. To do it for you.. My friend…” I said, my head down as a couple more tears fell.

 At first, I thought I wanted revenge for myself.. For what my father put me through.. The tests and experiments the scientists did to me..