Chapter 22

Andy

The cloaked figure I didn’t recognize, but I’d recognize the girl behind them any day. It was Luna!

I immediately ran at full speed. I could feel tears of joy rolling down my cheeks. She was alive! I could hear her yell my name and she started running towards me. We met up and immediately our arms went around each other. I held her closely, not wanting to let go, fearing that if I did, I’d lose her again.

When she spoke, her voice sounding scratchy, and like she could barely speak. “Andy!! I can’t believe it, you’re alive!! You’re ALIVE!!” She cried, holding onto me tightly, almost crushing me.

But I didn’t care about that. I just kept my arms around her and held her tightly. “Yes, I’m alive...and so are you! I almost thought...I mean...that guy told me you were…” I couldn’t finish my sentences. My voice was about as scratchy as hers and I felt like I could topple over from the adrenaline rush, but I just kept her close to me.

She just held me close, tears streaming her face as she cried, holding a.. A black feather?

“That..M-Man.. Told me you...And..Y-Ydna.. W-Were…” She stopped, unable to finish her own sentences.

The cloaked man interrupted the moment. “We have to go now. This place is gonna blow any minute.”

I blinked and loosened my grip on Luna slightly. “But...what about Ydna?” I asked, I was really concerned. I hadn’t seen him in forever.

The man replied. “If you’re talking about that guy that looks kinda like you, he already got out of here. I told him to get a headstart since he doesn’t have wings. Now let’s go!”

I nodded and extended my wings. “Luna, here’s the plan, we run out and take off in the air as soon as we get out the doors. Then, we head straight for home.” I said, knowing we had to get out soon.

She quickly nodded, but I could see the fear in her eyes. She was still worried about Ydna, and she was still shaken after what had happened. “Alright.. Let’s go..”

I nodded and all 3 of us started running towards the exit. I didn’t know who this guy was...but if he freed Luna, I had no choice but to trust him.

As we approached the door, I heard a gunshot followed by a thud. The man in the cloak had fallen over. He had been shot!

“Luna! Go! I’ll get this guy!” I yelled, knowing Luna needed to get out as quickly as possible.

She quickly whipped around and shook her head. “No! I’m helping! I won’t lose you again!”

I grabbed the man before she said anything and started running again. “Just come on! We have to get this guy to a hos-”

My words were interrupted when the hood of the cloak fell back and revealed the man’s face. My eyes widened in shock and I started to shake as I ran. What was he doing here?! Why was he here?! Why did he disguise himself?!

Why did Ydna do this?!

We got out the door and took to the sky almost immediately. We didn’t get too far away before the boom of an explosion was heard in the background.

I soon landed on the ground, but my landing wasn’t very smooth. I sort of tumbled a bit before stopping and setting Ydna on the ground. My eyes were filled with tears at this point. They were wide in shock and fear. I could hear Luna land beside me and heard her gasp when she finally saw Ydna.

“Y-Y...Ydna? W..Why.. Why did you help us?! You should have just gotten out! We would’ve gotten ourselves out!” I heard her yelling.Tears were streaming down her cheeks, and she grabbed Ydna by his shoulders.

Ydna replied, but it was rather weak. “I...set the self-destruct on the lab...and I knew...you guys...had to get out...I had to hide my face...so that the cameras in there didn’t show who I actually was...I didn’t want them finding us again...but I guess...that didn’t work…”

I spoke up, my voice cracking. “Ydna...save your strength. Don’t talk anymore. We’re gonna get you some help and then…”

“No…” he interrupted me, his voice still weak. “It’s...too late for me...even with your speed...there’s no way you’d get me help in time...this is it...end of the line...I’ve been shot through the heart...I don’t have much longer…” He started to cough up blood and his breathing became more sporadic.

I could feel the tears running down my cheeks. I knew he was right...I wanted to deny it...but he was right...it was too late...there weren’t any hospitals close enough for me to reach in time...even though I’m supposed to be able to fly super fast...even I couldn’t get him to one in time...I was useless...I could do nothing but watch my friend...no...my brother...dying before my eyes……

He then spoke again. “Now...I...need you both to listen...to my...final...request...my dying wish…” I just sat there...I was listening, but I couldn’t say a word. I guess he took our silence as a sign we were listening. “Both of you...stay...alive...and...please...promise me you’ll destroy every last one of these labs...I know...you can do it…”

I managed to speak, my voice cracking and weak. “I...I...promise…”

Luna, everytime she tried to speak, her voice squeaked or cracked up, so all she could do was nod her head, tears falling from her face like a summer rain.

Ydna spoke up one more time. “And...one more thing...I see...a happy future...for you two...please...get married...I don’t care when...just promise me...it’ll happen one day...I want both of you...to be happy...promise me that…please…”

I was shocked. He...wanted Luna and I...to get married? I mean...I’d certainly thought about it...and I had the evidence to prove it...but I didn’t think I’d hear him say that. I just nodded and said “Y...Yes…” in my cracking, extremely weak voice.

I looked over at Luna and she was crying harder than before now, but this time managed to speak, even if we did just barely hear her.

“I..I P-...Promise… Ydna…” She said, barely able to get the words out as she shaked.

Ydna smiled, and kinda weakly spoke for the last time. “Thank you...Goodbye...Luna...Andy…”

And with that, he breathed his last. He stopped moving altogether.

 Ydna...my clone, my friend, and my brother...he died there.

Luna and I spent what felt like the rest of eternity sobbing and trying, in vain, to bring him back. He was gone...and even though Luna hadn’t known him nearly as long as I did...I know she felt just as heavy-hearted as I did.

And with that...

I guess this is farewell...Ydna…