Story 26

After Ruth and I leave the others with Bill we head on out to the urban area of New Orleans. "So, what made you wanna tag along nerd?" I roll my eyes, but continue to look out the truck window, "Ruth can you please stop calling me a nerd? I mean even though I know a little bit of everything, that still don't consider me a nerd." She huffs, "Then what do you want me to call you?" I look back at her, "My name would be nice." She smiles, "If that's what you want, but I'm still gonna pick on ya." I smirk, "Fair enough."
          "So, going back to my question, why did you want to tag along?" I lean back and relax in my seat a little, "I don't know, I guess I wanted to just see the scenery. I haven't seen it in daylight before." "True," she runs her fingers through her long brown hair and props her elbow on the door, "Its really different in the day than at night. Its more lively at night because of the night clubs and Mardi Gras, but Mardi Gras is basically the same level of excitement in the day." I run my fingers back through my bangs and smirk, "Yeah, Amethyst and the kids were kind of disappointed that they won't get to experience Mardi Gras, but I'm kinda glad they won't because of the actions that the people do." "Yeah, I'm not going to allow Clyde to go to Mardi Gras until he's a little older." I smile, "Good choice."
            "So, what have you done since we got discharged?" I ask and she huffs, "I've been doing everything I can to keep dinner on the table." I look at her with worry, "What do you mean?" She rests her left hand on her forehead, "Well, we've been kind of struggling with money as you can tell from this piece of junk." She taps the steering wheel, "Even though I get benefits from the military, putting dinner on the table for eleven mouths is still pretty tough. Brie can't work because she's eight months pregnant and the kid's always stay active, which means they're always hungry for something. The bills keep piling up and I don't even ask dad to help because taking care of the family is supposed to be the woman's work."
            She takes a deep breath and I frown, "Hey, its going to be okay, you're going to get through this." I scoot over and put a hand on her shoulder. She sighs, "I just wish I could more to provide for my family." I smile, "You know how I said that I just tagged along for the scenery?" She looks over at me for a split second before returning her attention to the road, "Yeah?" "Well, that's one reason, but the other one is that I'm going to help you out by buying you a new truck." Her foot slams on the brakes and we come to a screeching halt at a red light, "What?!" She exclaims and my smile grows, "Yep, I'm going to buy you a new truck and help you out with everything I can while we're here. Consider this as late Christmas and birthday presents."
             I let her smack me, "Y/n! You don't have to do this! You don't owe any of us anything!" "I know, but I feel bad that I just walked out on y'all without telling y'all goodbye, but I just had to." She looks back at the road and takes a right after we get the green light and park in front of this tan two story house, "Y/n, you had to do what you had to do, but you shouldn't feel bad about leaving us." She kills the engine, "You had to do what you had to do to survive." I give her a hug, "Yeah, but that still wasn't fair to you or the rest of the family... Plus I have a lot of money father left me and I just have it saved in my gem. I mostly spend it on my family anyways, so you don't have a say in this soo..." I break the hug and exit the truck and make my way over to open her door, "So, just relax, and introduce me to your family." I close the door when she gets out and she hooks my arm, "Thanks ner-... I mean Y/n." I smile and walk her to the door, "No problem."
           She knocks on the crimson door and it doesn't take long till a blonde haired brown eyed woman about in her late thirties opens the door, "Ruth!" The woman greets Ruth with a big smile and a little hug and I can't help but smile a little. Ruth rolls her eyes and returns the hug with a smile, "Hi aunt Sook." They break the hug then the woman known as aunt Sook lands her eyes on me. "Well, well, well, who do we have here?" She comes up to about my chest and she looks me up and down. "Aunt Sook, this is my cousin Y/n, Y/n this is Brie's aunt, Sookie, but we all just call her Sook." I extend my hand for a handshake, but she goes straight for a hug, "Any family of Ruth's is family to me." I look down at her and return the hug, "Thanks Mrs. Sook." She pulls away, "Ah! I'm not married, but I love that you have manners... By the way just call me Sook or aunt Sook." She trails a laugh, then herds us indoors.
           When we enter the house, Ruth immediately spots Brie sitting on the couch sipping on some tea. "Well hello beautiful." Brie smiles and puts down her tea and comes over to us, holding her lower back in the process. She wraps her arms around Ruth's neck while Ruth wraps hers around her waist, "Hello." They kiss and I avert my eyes to give them some privacy. Now I know how Amethyst feels. "Oh babe, this is my cousin Y/n," I avert my eyes back to the couple, "Y/n, this is Brie." After they break their embrace, I once again offer my hand and yet again, its denied and replaced with a hug. "Thank you soo much for taking care of the love of my life." I carefully and gently return her hug, "No problem, my fiancé appreciates her taking care of me." She let's go in a small laugh and she sniffles as she wipes her tears from her eyes. "Its finally nice to meet you." "Same here."
           "Well," aunt Sook claps her hands once, "Would anyone like some tea or coffee?" I shake my head, "No thanks, I'm good." "Yeah, I'm good. I just ate breakfast." Sook looks back over to me, "Would you like something to eat?" I shake my head once again, "No thank y-" my stomach growls and I blush. "Well, it looks like your stomach disagrees... I'll go make some biscuits and bacon." Before I can object, she goes across a threshold and into another room, "Well, Garnet and her would get along just fine."
                      ~Time Skip~
          A few hours later, Ruth, Brie, and I return to the house in their new 2018 Chevy Silverado. Ruth wanted black of course because she said it was her favorite color, but Brie didn't really care, she was just happy to have a new truck. They both thanked me when we was at the dealer's and we made a pit stop at the bank and I deposited enough money to do them for a very long time. Good thing father collected coins from a young age, some of them was worth millions just for one coin.
        I honk the horn when I see everyone playing in the front yard and I hear Ruth howling from the bed. "She's such a character." I smirk at Brie's comment, "She always has been." "Thanks again Y/n for everything. You didn't have to do any of this." I park and kill the engine when we get in front of the house, "I know, but I wanted to." She smiles and hugs me after she unfastens her seatbelt. I return the hug as gentle as I can and we get out after Ruth opens the door for Brie, interrupting our hug.
          I hand Ruth the keys as we head over to the others by the swamp's dock. "Mommies home!" Clyde runs up to Brie and Ruth and give their legs a big hug, while Garnet walks up to me and gives me a casual kiss, "And Y/n." She says in a low tone with a smile. I put my hands on her waist as her's find my neck, "How you doin'?" I ask in my best New York accent and she chuckles, "Better now that you're here." I smile and kiss her, but then Steven and Connie come up to us breaking our moment up, "Y/n! Did you get Ruth a new truck?!" Connie asks excitedly. I raise a brow with a smirk, "Yeah, I didn't really feel like fixing their truck again and again if it broke down again." "Again?" Steven raises a brow. "What do you mean again?" Connie asks and I chuckle, "You two were asleep." I pat their heads and Garnet and I make our way over to the dock hand in hand.
         "Amethyst! Get off that log right now!" Amethyst is sitting on an old log floating on the green sprinkled blanket of water. "No way P! I wanna do a log rolling competition like Bill said that him and y/n used to do!" We walk up behind Pearl on the dock, "Man, I haven't did that in years." Pearl jumps a little at my voice and faces me, "Y/n, please don't tell me you really used to do that." I smirk, "Yep, but we always did it at night because ya know? The light." I motion to the sky. "How could you even stand that nasty water... I mean look at it." She points to the moss and lily pad filled water. I smirk and faze into my f/c swimsuit and dive off the dock and pop up at the edge of the dock. "Like this." I see Garnet smirk with a small blush, while Pearl's face is covered with disgust. "Yeah! You go Y/n! Whoop! Whoop!" Amethyst yells and I turn to swim towards her. "Ew Y/n! That is soo unsanitary!" I finally hop on the log and straddle it, "Yeah, but I don't worry about it... You just have to look out for gators!" I smile. "Gators!" Amethyst and Pearl yell in unison. Amethyst's yell came out as exciting and Pearl's as scared. I look back at Amethyst, "So, you wanna roll?" "Heck yeah dude!" I smile and stand up on the log and help her up, "Then let's do this."