60. Another monster chapter

En başından başla

"Food. Now."

He grumbles as he stands up and heads to the dining room. I laugh, and join him.

"Pancakes?" He says. "Since when did you make pancakes?"

"I found one of your recipe books. Don't deny it, you have them."

"I thought I hid those."

"Well, a summoning charm works wonders on hidden things. Now tell me what you think."

He chews for a minute. "Not bad. Better than what I did. I can't cook to save my life."

"What if you could cook to stop Nagini from biting you? Random thought, you could hold up a burrito or something while Nagini lunges at you and you'd make Voldemort's pet snake eat your cooking. I'd pay to see that."

"That would never work. He'd kill me himself if Nagini failed."

"That's why random plans never work." I take a better look at him. He's looking down. I get up and walk over to him.

He's reading.

"Well played, Severus. You have earned the title of a fangirl."

"I don't want to be a fangirl."

"Fanboy?" I offer.

"Sure."

We're so mature, aren't we?

"I can tell you want to read. I'll be at work, see you later. Don't forget to actually eat while I'm gone."

"I'll swing by for lunch."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I son and floo to a rather uneventful day at The Leaky Cauldron. Severus shows up during my lunch break, then sits down in a corner of the pub to read.

Typical.

Since I have half an hour off, I visit the twins. Emma-Leigh works there now. George greets me with a hug and asks where Severus is.

"He's reading the books I gave him. The ones from my place, hint hint."

"What are the books like?"

"They reduce you to tears. One of them made me hate and love the word 'okay'. If that's not crazy, I don't know what is."

"So you're saying he's sucked up into a world of books."

"Yeah, he's in The Leaky Cauldron. Probably thinks I'm still there. Actually, forget that. He probably forgot everything about life, and is currently living in Panem, trying to survive The Hunger Games in the body of Katniss Everdeen."

"That sounds cool."

"Yeah. Gruesome, but cool. How's the shop coming along?"

"Pretty good. How's your job going?"

"It's good enough. At least I'm getting something."

"So, seventeen this year?"

"Oh yeah. Finally. I hadn't realised."

"Whether you like it or not, I'm getting you something this year."

I take my beanie off and use it to whack his arm playfully.

"No, you won't."

"But I have to celebrate my girlfriend's seventeenth birthday. Please?"

"Not too big and fancy."

He fist pumps. "I have the perfect idea. When's your birthday?"

"30th of February."

He turns to the calendar to mark it, then whirls back.

"Yeah, right. There's no 30th of February. I'll have to tickle it out of you." He wiggles his fingers and I shriek and run up the stairs. George apparates up, and blocks my path back down.

"No!" I squeal.

He cackles and advances. "I'm going to get you!"

"Okay! 18th November! Happy?"

"Yes." He gives me a quick kiss, then winks and disapperates downstairs to his calendar, then goes back to working in the store. I slowly walk back to work, a silly smile on my face. When I'm done, I have to snap Severus's book shut.

Yes, he's still there.

He protests but apparates us home, then goes back to reading the last chapter. It takes him a few minutes, and he stares blankly at me when he's done.

"N-no... Why?"

"Thank you for expressing my exact thoughts. Good ending, huh?"

"Next book!" The book flies into his hands.

I hand him a box of tissues.

"The last book in a series is always full of deaths."

"Why?"

"I don't know. It's always at the end that your favourites die. I'll go make some potions while you read."

"Okay. Don't blow up my house."

"I won't. At least I hope I won't."

A few hours later he joins me in his potions room.

"That ending is unacceptable."

I roll my eyes. "That's summarising every book."

"How are the potions going?"

"I made 3."

He hold out a plate. "Take a sandwich."

"Why?"

"Because it's bed time and you haven't eaten yet. Honestly, I am a horrible father."

"No, you're just a bookworm. This is just like living with a best friend. You're doing great."

"Thank you. Now off to bed."

I finish off my sandwich. "Don't read tonight. You can start another series tomorrow or something. Also, tomorrow I'll be getting another four books. I forgot all about them."

"How good are they?"

"You don't even realise it's a series until the end. It's really good. It has nothing to indicate the books are connected, but eventually you get it. Pure genius."

"Can't wait. Now off to bed."

"Good night."

______________________

I've been reading advice books recently.

QOTC: If I wrote one would you guys read it?

All you'd have to do is send me a message with a question, and I'd answer it. Advice on anything at all.

Please vote or comment!

Almost at 8k reads!

~Ericano