25| Twisted paths

8/31/18

I'm so sorry for the four day wait everyone. I've been very busy lately and usually no longer have enough energy to stay awake any longer at night. And I only had a very limited amount of time for wifi ;-; but now it's in better conditions.

Chapter Twenty-Five: Twisted paths

He laughed again, a sound that sent another shiver through me. He leaned forward, and lighting flashed around us, followed by a terrifying boom.

"You're already fading away in the other realm..."

With a startled gasp... I opened my eyes.

* * *

It was a day after the... vision I had of Jai.

Rosebud kept questioning me about it, while Doku seemed mildly interested. But I politely refused to explain anything, and Rosebud reluctantly agreed that I wasn't supposed to talk about any visions or whatever that I had.

Part of the night had been spent with me struggling to sleep, once we made camp; but I was unable to.

Everytime I drifted off, it was as if someone would harshly kick me back here.

But it still feels like I dreamed...

I had heard distant voices, sounding concerned and upset. Or someone speaking japanese, and everytime I would feel a slight sense of relief at the words, but then a numb feeling would overcome me.

Sometimes I just heard this strange noise, like... Like a heartbeat.

But it seems so weak...

I didn't understand where it was coming from. I was so confused.

Not as confused as about what Jai said. What did he mean by all of that? And most importantly... What did he mean by the last thing? Didn't he say that I'm... Fading away on Earth?

How is that possible though? What does he even mean...?

"Your friends should be somewhere in there. It leads to the caves you two were talking about." Doku announced, snapping me out of my thoughts.

She lashed her pointed tail, gesturing to the two paths.

On the right side, the trees were close together, as if desperately trying to hold on to one another. Vines and overgrown plants snagged the thin branches, and bramble bushes laid hazardously around.

And on the left side, it was as if the trail disappeared into a beautiful forest heaven. The tree trunks were silver, and the mossy earth glittered in the morning sunlight.

"Please don't say we have to take the one on the right..." I whined, stiffening as I stared at it with wide eyes.

"Obviously not." Doku glanced at me, and I let out a sigh of relief.

Finally, we don't have to go directly into danger like usual-

"That is, if you don't want to find your allies." She tipped her head, a small smirk on her face.