23| Is she crazy?!

8/26/18

Chapter Twenty-Three: Is she crazy?!

Her shining bright blue eyes, which had no pupils in them, glared into my own.

"Who the fuck are you, and what do you think you're doing in our land?!" She demanded.

I stared at the girl with a startled and confused expression, not understanding why she was being so hostile. Who would want ownership of this land, anyways? Wait...

Did she live here?

I glance around, quickly studying the volcanic landscape once more.

Yeah, definitely a bad choice on her part.

It took me a moment to realize that Rosebud was talking, and I snapped out of my observations. I only caught the last part of what she was saying.

"-but we were just passing through." Rosebud finished, and I uneasily looked back at her.

She was flicking her tail, and appeared to be anything but scared of this new person we've been confronted by. But I still saw the flash of nervousness in her eyes, which glanced towards my direction.

"Yeah, we'll be out before you know it!" I promise, giving the new girl a happy look.

She tipped her head, narrowing her bright blue eyes.

"What's your name?" She said, voice coming out flat and suspicious.

"I'm Mikey, and she's Rosebud." I pointed over my shoulder at Rosebud, who I could hear shuffling around on the other side of the collapsed path.

The girl now had a confused expression, eyes sparking with interest.

"And why are you two choosing to travel through the 'Land of Forbidden'?" She questioned, no longer stroking the Akuma's beak.

"Oh, we're going on a journey to find my two friends! I kinda got separated from them, and Rosebud is coming with me so we can find them, and then defeat Jai." I explain, giving her a proud and excited look.

This journey really is going to be awesome!

The girl suddenly stiffened, giving us a surprised look.

"You're going to try to defeat Jai??" She asked, voice raising with tension.

Not noticing this, I quickly nodded, still smiling.

"Yeah, Mikey's from the Prophecy of Kuda! It's his destiny!" Rosebud chirped.

"Hmmmm..." The girl hummed. "Well then, I guess I should tell you guys that my name is Doku." She began, glancing up at the sky.

She looked back at us, annoyed and hostile look quickly disappearing. She gave us a large smile, eyes brightening.

"And how about I help you guys out of here?? Maybe I can even help you two on your journey, I know this place and the lands beyond it very well. I'll be able to find where your friends are." She explained, seeming to burst with excitement.

Wow, awesome!

It looks like she's actually nice!

"Really?!" I grin, bouncing up and down once. "That's great! Let's go!" I cheer, turning.

But I froze when I saw that both me and Rosebud were separated by the broken path. Before I could say anything about it, the girl- Doku, spoke up from behind us.

"Kurayami no ikimono wa, koko ni kuruga, mada ryokō-sha o kizutsukenai!" She yelled, and I turned back to her with a startled look. (A/N: "Creatures of darkness, come here, but do not harm the travelers yet!")

Suddenly, powerful wings flapped above us.

I looked up and my jaw dropped, unable to stop the squeak of terror from leaving my lips. Two more Akuma's hovered above us, one by Rosebud, and the other near me.

Me and Rosebud watched in stunned silence as they settled next to us, letting out low growling noises as they snapped at eachother.

Are they... Communicating??

"Climb onto them!" Doku called out, and I glanced at her with a shocked expression.

She was sitting on her Akuma's back, holding onto a large spike on it's neck.

Is she crazy?!

I heard Rosebud get on the Akuma behind her, but I just stared at 'mine' in horror. There's no way that this will work out, they'll eat us!

"Come on, they don't bite!" Doku shuffled around, repositioning herself to face me.

When I gave her a doubtful look, she winced.

"Well, maybe..." I heard her mutter, and I gulped.

I slowly climbed onto the Akuma's back, nearly screaming when it made another growling noise. I shook in place, watching in fear as it started to move it's wings.

It let out a low screech, and I cringed at the painful feeling in my ears.

"Kono tochi no hashi ni jōshō!" (A/N: "Rise, to the edge of the land!")

At Doku's apparent order, the Akuma's took off into the air.

I let out a startled yell, hanging onto the neck spike for dear life. I heard Rosebud let out her own yelp of terror, and we rose higher into the sky.

We soared across the volcanic landscape, the Akuma's screeching and growling the whole time.