11| Explosion

8/15/18

... Do turtles have ears? Ear slits? Pretend that's what I mean whenever I mention ears

Chapter Eleven: Explosion

I took another step away from the six blurry figures in front of me.

One of them, about my waist height, was standing next to a tall white figure. Nearby them was another figure about two feet tall, who was frantically waving his arms around.

The other three seemed slightly familiar. I tried to realize who they were, but my mind was filled with so many emotions that I couldn't even fully process what was happening.

Guilt...

Terror...

Love...

Determination...

Loss...

Surprised by my swirling thoughts and feelings, I mentally let out a startled gasp.

I felt stone underneath my feet, and the air whipping against my back and wrapping around my feet made me wonder if I was on a mountain ledge of some sort.

The people were screaming to me, my name a repeated but blurred chorus.

"I'M SORRY, BUT THIS MIGHT BE THE ONLY WAY!" Someone yelled.

It took me a moment to realize that I was the one who had said it.

"Don't...!"

"Please... Mikey...!"

"Michelangelo-san!"

Their sentences blurred together in my mind, the roaring of the wind around me burning my ears. Gulping, I felt myself take a step back.

"I'm sorry..." I whisper.

But suddenly, and very unexpectedly, a flash of orange caught my eye. I looked down at my hands to see them glowing with a bright orange light, flashing as the light went haywire.

I fell to my knees, letting out an ear piercing scream as agony took over my senses. And then...

I exploded in a burst of orange light, destroying the world and people around me.

"The flaming wings will burn the blade of darkness..."

I woke up with a start, frantically looking around.

It was just a dream...? But it felt so real?

When I realized that I hadn't actually just exploded and killed thousands of people, I slightly relaxed.

I looked around, spotting Usagi standing watch ten feet away. Nearby me, Karasu was poking with a branch at the burned out campfire, a bored expression on his face as he sat on a small boulder.

Usagi glanced at me and said nothing, but Karasu tipped his head. Without looking away from the ashes, he spoke.

"Did something bad happen in your realm?" He questioned, pricking his ears as he curiously awaited my answer.

Wow, for once he's actually not being rude!

But then I realized something very surprising to me, and I stiffened.

I didn't go back to Earth while I was sleeping. I expected to wake up in the city, injured and laying next to a pipe. I dreamed instead, and usually nowadays I have dreams with only blackness...

So why did I have this dream that felt so real...?

"HELLO?" Karasu snapped, bringing me back to reality. Wincing, I looked over at him.

"N-no, I was just..." I paused, looking around. When I came up with an excuse, I grinned victoriously. "I was just surprised by how windy it is!"

Karasu looked at me with an annoyed expression.

"There's barely a breeze." He grumbled, motioning to the area around us.

We were currently in the middle of a spring forest, resting in a rocky dip in the earth. I had decided to sleep for a little bit, and judging by how the sun was sinking, I must've slept for thirty minutes.

"Oh yeah... Well I actually didn't go back to earth, I just dreamed a little bit." I laughed nervously.

"Was your sleep restful?"

I jumped in surprise at Usagi's voice, calming myself before turning to look up at him. He was looking down at me with a curious expression.

"Yeah, it was... Interesting!" I half heartedly grin, deciding not to tell them about the strange dream.

"Well now that your finally awake, we can continue on our journey." Karasu snapped, standing up.

I watched as he walked up the small hill, Usagi slowly following him. Karasu paused at the top and turned back to us, only a shadowed outline against the sun sinking behind him.

"Did you hear me reptile?!" He barked, glaring at me.

"Coming!" I yell, rushing after him.

I smiled, happily looking at the beautiful world around me. It was much more peaceful and greener then the city, but I couldn't deny that New York was my only home.

And as we continued on our journey, following the setting sun...

I couldn't help but wonder if that dream meant something more, and if I would ever get back to earth permanently.