24| Nowhere to run

8/27/18

Thank you guys so much for 2k reads!!

Chapter Twenty-Four: Nowhere to run

It took us ten minutes to reach the edge of the Land of Forbidden, where the Akuma's soared down to the rocky ground beyond.

They landed roughly on the stone, letting out low gurgling sounds and impatiently stomping their talons against the surface. When they finally calmed down a bit, I shakily leapt off of mine.

"That took like, forever!" I exclaim, stumbling away from the Akuma's.

"That was simply a few minutes, nothing to much wasted. It was better for you two then to walk across a highly volcanic land, or am I wrong?" Doku snapped, glaring at us.

Both me and Rosebud looked at her with surprise. I thought she wasn't hostile to us anymore...?

Doku's expression immediately calmed down, and she snapped her fingers.

"Sorry, didn't mean to be rude." She muttered through gritted teeth, glowing blue eyes landing on the restless Akuma's.

"Chichi ni kotoba o okuru." She ordered, voice sounding harsh. (A/N: "Send word to father").

The Akuma's let out screeches, shuffling back and forth, before spreading their spiky wings. We watched as they took off into the sky, circling around a bit before heading east.

Of course they have to go in the same direction we're going. Why did she send them that way, anyways? I really need to learn more Japanese...

"Are you coming, Orange??"

Rosebud's questioning voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I looked ahead of me. Doku and Rosebud were walking across the rocks, heading towards a small forest.

In the distance, I saw caves behind the wooded area. Tipping my head, I couldn't help but wonder if those were the same caves that Usagi and Karasu were supposed to soon be coming out from.

They must think that if there's any chance I survived, I would be heading for where we decided to go.

"Yeah, I'll be right there!" I call back, hurrying after my companions.

After a while of walking, I realized Doku had slowed to a halt a little ways into the forest. I peered around her to see a small stream, and I can't help but grin.

Water!

I quickly took off my straw hat, which was secured with a string onto the back of my shell.

I ducked down next to the small stream, scooping the clear water into my hat. When it was partly full, I brought it to my lips, tipping it forwards.

I desperately drank the beautiful water, ignoring the droplets dripping down my chin.

When I was finally done, I glanced over my shoulder at the other two. Doku was pacing next to a boulder, looking both agitated and determined as she pulled her hands through her wild hair.

Rosebud was lapping from the stream a few feet away, happily swishing her short tail.

Letting out a sigh of content, I plopped down next to a rock. I leaned against it, lazily studying the forest around us.

Finally, some peaceful time to relax-

"OW!" I yelp, slamming my hands against the side of my head.

Pain filled my mind, and I let out a gasp of surprise.

A loud ringing blocked my hearing, muffling the sounds of Rosebud's questioning voice. I could blearily see her standing in front of me, anxiously nudging my arm as Doku hesitantly stood behind her.

But the ringing only grew louder, and my vision swirled into darkness...

A strange feeling overcame me, and I opened my eyes to find myself in a different place. Storm clouds surrounded me, rippling with an occasional flash of lightning.

My jaw dropped in shock, and I rapidly shook my head in disbelief.

How in the world did I end up here?!

"Hello?! Anybody?!" I yell, cupping my hands around my mouth. After a few moments of silence, except for the rough wind, I let out a shaky breath.

What if the thing that brought me here, if that's what happened, tries to hurt me? What if there's suddenly a huge storm? What if I'm trapped here...?

Still now knowing what was happening, I looked around for a way out of the sky place. But it seemed as if it went on forever...

And there was nowhere to run.

"Foolish young one."

The eerily familiar voice made me jump, and my eyes widened at the dark laugh that followed. I stumbled backwards, slowly looking around.

"Jai..." I breath out the name, shivering.

"It won't be long now. This time, I will win. The Prophecy of Kuda will be no longer. Despite your subconscious, futile attempts, you won't be able to stop it."

I glared at the stormy sky around me, trying to find the source of his echoing voice.

"What are you talking about?!" I demand, nervously clenching and unclenching my fists.

"You don't know...?"

I froze, hearing his voice come from directly behind me. I slowly turned, eyes landing on the evil mutant, who was standing ten feet away.

His white eyes met mine, and he wickedly grinned.

"Uh, yeah, that's why I'm asking!" I roll my eyes, shaking my head.

He's really that dumb??

"You've seen it. The paleness in your skin, the zombie like state you had in your home realm while you were awake here." He tipped his head, stroking his scary looking spear.

"And?!" I demand, becoming impatient. Can't he just get to the point already?!

"It should be obvious..." He drawled, glancing back at me.

Well, it's clearly not!

"What should be obvious??" I sigh, narrowing my eyes.

He laughed again, a sound that sent another shiver through me. He leaned forward, and lightning flashed around us, followed by a terrifying boom.

"You're already fading away in the other realm..."

With a startled gasp... I opened my eyes.