Janis

Hi everyone! This chapter is all about Janis trying to deal with her feelings about a certain God of Mischief ;) Also a little bit of romance between two of the members in the Avengers! Wait did I just rhyme?! 

~Fairfarren all

Janis POV

     Loki, Loki, LOKI! That's all I can think about. I was practicing knife throwing (which I was kinda good at) while Clint was using his bow and special arrows on an army of dummies. Each arrow hit dead center and released deadly traps. I tried desperately to not think about the fact that I was in love with the most evil person in the world by trying to talk to Clint. We had grown pretty close since I hung out with Natasha so much. "So what is it with you and Nat?" I asked. He missed the bulls-eye by a couple of inches which surprised me. He kept on shooting and I saw that he was blushing furiously. Fortunately we were alone.

     "What about her?" He asked, letting another arrow fly. I tried not to laugh at him trying to hide his feelings. I don't know how I do this, but it's like I can feel someone else's emotions if I know them well. Like their emotions radiate of their bodies and I just pick them up like a signal. This delighted Nat because that was sorta like what she could do.

     I set my knife down and said, "Well, you look at her like she is the best thing in the world, you are mostly by her side everyday, and I could've sworn I heard you in the showers singing a song that I'm pretty sure you were improvising-"

     "Okay, okay I get it! Everyone wants to know about Nat and I! But to tell you the truth, I really don't know. " Clint said, finally giving in. He hung his bow up and grabbed a rag of the bench and sat down. I followed and sat next to him. He wiped the sweat off his face and continued, "It's just that...Nat is so...cold sometimes. I mean yeah, she lightens up once in a while, but it doesn't last long and it's back to work." 

     I thought for a moment, then said, "Well do you ever try to catch her alone?"

     He shook his head and said, "Well, no. It's usually around one of the other members of the team."

     Glad that I found the problem I said, "Well, there you go! Just try to get Nat alone." 

     He frowned and said, "But...what do I even say?!" I smiled, suddenly thinking of an idea. 

     "Just imagine I'm Nat." I told him. 

     He rolled his eyes and said, "Jan, you look nothing like..." I changed into the spy right in the middle of his sentence and smiled. "...Nat." He finished. 

     "Now talk to me." I said in Nat's voice.

    He cleared his throat and said, "Nat, I have to tell you something." 

     I tried to act like Nat and say, "Yes Clint?" 

     He stared into my eyes and said, "When we first met, we got off on the wrong foot. Then after years and years of getting to know you and working together, I guess my heart sorta...thawed." 

     I scrunched my eyebrows and said, "What do you mean?"

     "I mean that I...I..." Then he started to lean in to kiss me. My eyes widened and I changed back into myself. 

     "Clint!" I said before he could kiss me. He opened his eyes and saw that it was just me. 

     "Oh God Janis! I'm so sorry. You just looked so much like Nat that I..." He trailed off and looked miserable. Poor guy, I thought. I placed my hand on his shoulder comfortingly and he smiled.

     We just sat there for a minuet until someone said, "What are you two doing?" Our heads shot up to see Natasha staring at us.

     I saw Clint blush and stammer, "N-Nat! We were just, um..."

     "I'll leave you two alone." I said and stood up to leave.

     Before I walked out the door, Clint shouted out to me, "Thanks Jan!" I turned and smiled. Nat still looked confused. I turned back around and walked out into the hallway, leaving those two alone. I hope they work it out, I thought. Then I remembered Loki and how bad my feelings were. I roamed the halls with no real destination and thought about my situation. It was silly. I wasn't in love, I just get the flu every time I think about him. I tried to tell myself that Loki was just a really messed up fantasy, but that was a straight up lie. I was in love, whether I liked it or not.

     I was blinded by light for a second and I saw that the ground was shiny. I looked to my left and saw that there was a deck overlooking the sea. I walked out and looked at the clouds. It was funny how we were alike, the clouds and I. We kept shifting and changing, never stopping. The sun on my face felt so good and the smell of the sea took my mind off things. Then I heard something strange. Like a whizzing sound. I looked up and saw a man in a red cape. I smiled and waved at the God of Thunder, Thor. But he didn't wave back. Instead, he swerved and when I realized he was going to crash, I ran inside as Thor collided with the ground. I rushed over and saw him lying there moaning. I held his face and said, "Thor! Thor what happened?"

     He opened his eyes a little and said, "Loki...he...he..." Then he slipped back into unconciousness.

     I called out, "Help! Nat, Clint! Anyone!" I heard footsteps in pursuit. I shook Thor, trying to wake him up again. I saw Nat, Clint, and Bruce running up to us.

     "What happened?!" Clint asked kneeling down. Nat shoved me aside as she check for broken bones.

     Bruce held my shoulders and asked calmly, "Jan, tell us what happened." I stopped hyperventilating and took a deep breath, trying to collect my thoughts. Then something horrible dawned on me.

     "Loki. Loki's what happened." I told him in fear. This tore at my insides and I found myself crying. Bruce looked at me, trying to figure out my distress. But I couldn't tell him. I couldn't tell anyone. I sunk to the ground and curled myself into a ball. I had no idea how painful it was when your heart breaks. Bruce came down with me and held me tight. Maybe he couldn't understand, but he's just the person that comforts you no matter what.

     Nat got up and said, "He should be okay. He just needs to rest and...why is Jan crying?" She asked puzzled. I felt Bruce shrug his shoulders. Nat picked me up and murmured, "C'mon, let's go to your room." Seeing that I couldn't go anywhere else I let Nat take me to my room and sit down with me on the bed. She let me cry a bit more until I calmed down. I wiped my eyes and stared at the ground. I heard Nat say, "This isn't about Thor, is it?" I looked up at her. She had trusting eyes, but I wasn't sure if they were real, or just an act. So I stayed silent. She shifted closer to me and said, "This is about a guy, isn't it?" I stared, shocked.

     "Wh-what? How did you-"

     "I know what heartbreak looks like. Trust me, I've felt it many times before." She said bitterly. I thought of Clint.

     "I'm sorry." I said quietly.

     She gave me a crooked smile and said, "Ah well, it happens to the best of people. But this isn't about me, it's about you. Now, who is the unlucky guy?"

     I smiled for a moment and said, "He's...not from around here."

     She looked a little confused and said, "Well, if it's not Thor then who..." She trailed off, deep in thought. Then she caught on. "Loki..." She said quietly. I stared at her with guilt. I thought she might yell at me, or kick me out of the team. But instead, she took my hand and said, "I'm the one who should be sorry." I smiled sadly and fell into her lap. I didn't realize how exhausted I was. Nat stroked my hair and hummed a little lullaby.

     I heard Clint run in and say, "Nat, we just-"

     "Shhh." She said quietly. He stopped talking and I felt him sit on the bed. He whispered something to Nat, but I couldn't hear.

     But right before I was pulled under, I heard someone say, "...Loki's match..."

     Then everything disappeared.