The Disaster

Y/n was an ordinary 16 year old girl who lived in California. Her life seemed perfect, utterly flawless, until the day she lost everything. The day her parents died.

Her parents were pronounced dead from a fatal car accident just two months before present day. Y/n somehow managed to keep herself going and had learned to survive on her own since then. Without her parents she was lost. She had nowhere to go, no real place to call home. It was planned that she would be moved into a foster care facility by the end of the month.

Y/n quickly learned to always assume the worst ever since that tragic day, but she could've never imagined what mass carnage the future held. She never got to see the day that she would find her new forever home in Cali.

Instead, she is now faced with a life or death situation that no teenager on this planet could've ever been prepared for. Today was the day that would soon change everything. Life as she knew it would never be the same.

Y/n POV

My eyes gazed out into the beautiful orange and pink hues that mixed together in the sky. I had finally caught a break from it all. All the stress that was suffocating me from the inside out. That claustrophobic feeling that has lurked over me ever since they left has finally subsided. Sitting on top of my childhood home's rooftop, feeling the warmth of the setting sun wash over me, the sensation of it made the my whole little world grow quiet. Silence. I had finally escaped from my reality. My excruciatingly despicable reality that my life somehow evolved into.

I continued to admire nature's natural beauty, until the heat of the sun's rays died away and the day finally transitioned into night . The sun was replaced by a gorgeous star-filled sky. I starred at the beautiful specks of light as they flickered above my head, searching for different shapes and pictures that they formed with one another.

Suddenly, a bright streak of light traveling across the darkness caught my eye. Excitement surged throughout my body, immediately causing me to squeeze my eyes shut and make a wish.

After all, it's said that witnessing a shooting star is a once in a lifetime experience.

And a wish that is only offered once in a lifetime must be pretty valuable right?

Gently fluttering my eyes back open, lifting my fingers to my lips and blowing a kiss out into the air. If only I could wish for everything to go back to the way it was before the accident.

If only...

I wondered why I could still see the star after I opened my eyes again. Didn't shooting stars literally "shoot" across the sky? I continued to watch the star move in the sky, becoming easier to see as the time ticked by, until it clicked. My brain finally processed what was actually happening.

My blood ran cold. That blissful feeling of peace and tranquillity had completely drained from my body. The excitement I held in my heart only moments before was replaced with an unfathomable amount of fear.

My whole body was frozen, my brain was stuck in a ruthless void of morbid disbelief. When the star grew to shine bright enough to light up the whole country, my mind finally signaled my limbs to begin moving. To start running for my life. Climbing down off of the roof at lightening speed, I leapt down onto the grown and stumbled my way back into my house.

Without giving myself time to think, I grabbed my phone, wallet, and my parent's old car keys off of the living room table. Jumping into my dad's old beaten up truck that was left behind when him and my mom died, I jabbed the keys into the ignition and started the engine.

My mind began to flood, pooling with gallons of straight turmoil. I drove at full speed into the direction opposite of the giant ball of fire hurdling towards the Earth. I couldn't help but continuously glance into my rear view mirror at the dark shadow quickly growing larger and larger above me.
I strained every muscle in my body, pushing down harder on the gas pedal.

Unfortunately, the most unbelievable amount of bad luck just HAD to rain down on me. Eyeballs popping out of my head and my whole body shaking, the car slowed down until it came to a hard stop. My heart felt as if it had done the same in that very moment, stopped.
The gas tank was empty.

"DAMN IT!" I yelled bloody murder, punching the steering wheel as tears streamed down my face. The only thing I could think to do at this point was to get out and run. Without looking back, I shoved the door open and started racing into the open road. The wind blowing against my face made turned my tears sticky against my skin. The air was growing hotter and hotter as the shadow ate away at the sky. Screams of terror swarmed around me, becoming muffled as my ears began to ring.

I felt my lungs collapsing in on themselves, pushing through the pain as I continued to run. I refused to look anywhere but ahead as I ran as fast as my legs could endure.

My ears finally popped.

Swept away by an avalanche of debris and smoke,
my vision went pitch black.

Narrator

Y/n had been unconscious for almost five whole days, barely clinging on to life. The meteor that was disguised as a blessed shooting star had destroying almost all of central California. Even though she was believed to of been in the absolute heart of the crash, Y/n somehow managed to dodge the bullet.

Her eyes shot open and she started to hyperventilate. Feeling the stiff bed underneath her body and the thick IV that had been stabbed into her arm, Y/n's breathing grew louder and full of fear. Voices from every direction began to shout.

"She is awake!"

"THE GIRL IS ALIVE!"

"It's a miracle!"

One week later

Waking up in the hotel room Y/n had found after the hospital released her. She's been staying here for a couple days, using the generous donation of money that a couple of nurses had put together for her. Y/n was still trying to determine what to do with her life now that EVERYTHING she once knew and loved was gone.

Y/n felt a little strange upon awakening that morning. She was floating in mid-air above a frozen bed. Her hands were ice cold, snowflakes elegantly drifting above them. Lastly, her hair was in flames, however it wasn't burning.

This is the story of how Y/n L/n discovered her gift. The gift given to her by a disaster that spared her life apart from thousands of others.

She is known today as a superhero by the name of

Midnight Star.

Hi everyone this is my first story! I am currently working on completing it and editing my previous chapters. I was only 12 when I began writing this so I apologize for any confusion while reading this fanfic.

But anyways, thank you for taking the time to read my story and I hope you enjoy it :)