Thorin #5

(You guys requested another Thorin imagine so here it is! It's going to be short, mind you)

You held your hand just above the paper, your ink and quill shaking in your nervous, slim hand. You take in a deep, shaky breath and then finally put the feather pen up to the paper and began to scribble down a letter to your husband, Thorin.

'My dearest Thorin,
It has been three months since you have gone away, and when you promised you will write, I hear no word from you. Where are you? Are you safe wherever you are?

Our people in the Blue Mountains are safe, but we struggle for food. Without you to lead us, I fear that we might starve up here all alone. Dis tries to be strong for all of us and has even found work in the next village over. But, like myself, she fears and worries for her family's safe return.

I also found work with a seamstress who lives in the woods under the mountain. She pays well and tells the most interesting stories. She makes me forget my troubles. I have a heavy secret that I must tell you, for I can no longer bear it. I should have told you the day before you left, something of importance. Maybe, if I had told you, you would have stayed here with me.

Thorin...

You are going to be a father.

I have known far before your departure and I wished I had the courage to speak to you sooner. I just...I just hope you get this letter soon and come back to me the moment you get it. I can't bear to raise a child without you, my love. Please, reclaim Erebor, but then come back to me before anything else is decided. I love you, Thorin. I always have and always will. Please...be safe. Come home.

With all my heart and love,
Your Queen.'

He doesn't get it in time. Your letter arrived just moments after Erebor is reclaimed and the Battle of Five Armies has ended.

The one to receive the letter was a small hobbit you have never met before in your life but felt responsible for not giving it to Thorin sooner...before it was too late.

Bilbo Baggins thanked the messenger and read the letter, knowing it was from Thorin's lover, because the Dwarf King spoke often of his Queen, enough that Bilbo feels as if he's known you all his life. He read the letter, and his heart shattered as his eyes followed the words of your handwriting. He sucked in a rasping breath and choked on the tears.

He marched forward toward the grave. He looked inside the tomb to see a still body of one he called King.

Thorin's eyes were closed, with a crown on his head and Arkenstone laid across his breastplate. His hands were folded across his chest with his sword Orcrist, and his bow on either side of him.

Bilbo cleared his throat, as if not to cry and reached for the Dwarf King's hand, tucking his wife's letter between his cold, dead fingers. The last memory of her that Thorin will take to his grave, and will cherish for eternity. And yet he will never know...never know that his wife was bearing his child in the last moments of his life. Only Bilbo Baggins of The Shire knew your secret. No one else. Even though the two of you didn't know each other, Bilbo vowed to keep your secret. He at least owed Thorin that.

Bilbo took a deep breath and let it out, giving Thorin's hand a reassuring shake and then stepping back away from the tomb, letting the dwarves cover his body with a casket.

With his and his nephews' bodies buried deep within the mountain like the kings of old, everyone went off to their own lands. Bilbo said farewell to the others dwarves of the Company and went off with the wizard, Gandalf the Grey.

The line of Durin did not end there as everyone thought. The heir to the throne, the future King Under The Mountain will live on...

Through you.

Before I go I would like to say OH MY GOD I JUST WATCH THE TEASER TRAILER FOR HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES AND EVERYONE LOOKS Fiiiooonne! And what was even better! The trailer music was PIPPIN'S SONG FROM RETURN OF THE KING AND THAT GAVE ME THE FEELS! Now I'm scared for myself when I go see it in theaters. Someone help I might need to breathe through a bag now!