Bain (One-Shot)

(This is for Estella Clare)

I ran through the village of Laketown, crying. My parents were at it again. They were fighting and when I cut in, they scream at me and I practically ran out the door. The night air is cold and I'm wet because every once in a while I'll accidentally slip into the Lake, only to climb back out and continue to run. I make it to the house of my destination. His house.

Granted. Its been years since Bain and I ever spoke a word. But I'm cold, I'm tired, I'm wet, and I need a place to stay for the night. And surely my old friend and his father won't shut me out. Besides, I'm close friends with Tilda and Sigrid.

My chestnut colored hair stuck to the back of my neck and my skin was pale enough from the freezing cold that you could see my freckles clearly. My brown eyes began to water. I was a little scared. Bain MIGHT just kick me out again, never to talk to me again. But why would he? He was raised by a humble, kind man. He was the hope and pride of this town, and he was a second father to me. I walk up the stairs and knock on the door.

Bard was the one to answer the door. He must have a day off from being a bargeman for the day.

"Estella? What are you doing here? Are you alright?"

"Da? Who is at the door?"

By his side, comes Sigrid. Her eyes lit up and bring me into a close hug.

"Estella! Good gracious your freezing! Come by the hearth and warm up!"

She grabs me by the hand and brings me to the fire. Before Tilda goes to get me a blanket, she gives me a quick hug. Sigrid rubs my shoulders at a quick pace, trying to get me warm so I wouldn't suffer from the cold. Bard heats the fire up even more and looks to me with worry, his dark eyes reflecting off the fire.

"Your parents fought again, did they not?"

I nod. There was no need for words. Bard sighs.

"You may stay for the night. Tilda and Sigrid already share a bed so I'm afraid you will have to share with Bain."

I blush. I didn't care but it worried me a bit. We aren't children anymore, so why must we share? What worried me most if what would Bain would think?

Just then, someone bursts through the door and a sigh of relief sound out.

"Boy, you won't believe how must fish nets cost nowadays-!"

Bain stops as he sees me. His eyes grow wide. After some years, he probably forgot what I looked like. He gulped.

"S-Stella?"

I smiled. My own little nickname he gave me when we were kids. Well, actually he couldn't say my name right and that's how he said it.

"Hey, Bain." I nod.

"Bain," Bard said gently. "Estella will be staying the night. Would it be a problem if she shared your room with you?"

"Not a problem, Da." Bain smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I snuggle close to Bain late that night and I felt a little embarrassed. He had an arm around me and he chuckled.

"Gee Stella you are cold! How many times did you actually fall into the lake?"

I giggle. "As many times as the years you've ignored me."

I said the last part a little coldly, and I could feel his body tense beneath me. He sighs.

"I never meant to ignore you, Estella. Its just...after my Ma died, my family needed me more than ever."

"I understand." I look up at him and blush. "But I wish we could've been more than just childhood friends."

Bain looks down at me, wide-eyed, slightly blushing. Slowly, he smiled and kissed my forehead.

"Me too."

"You missed." I simply said.

"What do you mean?" he asked, confused.

That's when I smashed my lips into his.