Fili #3

You were cleaning the dishes when you heard the sounds of horns fill the afternoon air. Your smile grew as your eyes widen. He's home. He's HOME! He must have reclaimed Erebor! He killed Smaug! He's come home to get you! You drop your dish in your sink and run outside. Fili...he's finally home. After almost a year...

As you run through the dwarf village of the Blue Mountains, another female figure was running out of her house at the sound of the horns. She was an old, frail dwarf woman, but she was strong like her Royal family and was the fastest runner around here. Her name was Dis. Your lover's mother.

You both smile and laugh cheerfully at each other as you both ran side by side towards the horns sounding out. You see off in the distance, dwarves with silver helmets and armor and flags, staring sadly at you but standing tall as they marched towards you and the village. Your smile grew more than ever as excitement filled your heart.

It's him.

But then, something wasn't right. You didn't recognize ANY of the faces of these dwarves. None of them were from the Company of Thorin Oakenshield. And NONE of them were certainly not Fili. You could feel the pit in your stomach when the head dwarf of the group carried a message...

You and Dis stop in front of the weary travelers and they bow to Dis, knowing full well she is the daughter of the Line of Durin.

"My princess..." the dwarf messenger with the scroll-shaped message greeted. "We are the dwarf servants of your cousin, Lord Dain. We bid you greetings as we deliver you a message from Erebor."

Dis stiffens but showed kindness. "I do not wish for a message. I wish for my sons and brother to show themselves before me than for them to send me a letter. Where are they?"

"I am just a messenger, m'lady." the dwarf said apologetically.

Dis and you exchange glances before she hesitantly took the message. With trembling fingers, she unfolds the scroll and reads, her lips moving as she read. Slowly, as the news stung her, she suddenly drops the message as she lets out a sob. You desperately grab the scroll and read for yourself, not believing her reaction as your lips quivered.

'My dearest cousin, Dis.

On such short notice, I have been crowned King Under The Mountain and we have had an unknown battle come before us. Tragically, and painfully, it 'twas not dragons that deliver this sad news, but the blade of orcs as I tell you now...Thorin Oakenshield, Kili, and Fili Durin have been slain in battle and have been confirmed dead. My apologies for this dreadful blow.'

"No..." you whisper as Dis crouched low to the ground, crying dramatically as she claws at the dirt floor of the Earth.

Your heart shattered into a million pieces as you read the message over and over again, not believing a single word. The words 'Fili' and 'dead' repeat over and over through your mind as your eyes blur due to the stinging tears. You too, drop the scroll and instead of moping on the ground, you clutch your heart in a desperate attempt to save it. But alas, your heart is beyond repair as you grip the fact.

The love of your life is dead.

Fili is DEAD!

You scream horrifically as tears pour down your cheeks, non-stop. The village is silent as people gather in mourning. You drop to your knees, a little frightened that you may not get back up. You were in complete denial. He can't be dead. He promised. He can't be dead. He promised. He can't be dead! He promised!

Your hair falls past your eyes as you lean your head forward, your hands still clutching your heart desperately as you rock yourself back and forth on your knees.

"Mama?"

You look up at the child-like voice to see your daughter with her blond pigtails and brown eyes standing in front of you, looking sad and confused as to why her mother was kneeling on the ground.

She looks so much like him...

You sniffle, your sobs uncontrollably flowing as you try to breathe. You reach out to her with open arms.

"Come here, baby..." you stutter, barely able to talk anymore.

She sinks into your arms as you held her close, making sure she wouldn't leave you as he left you. This had to be a dream...

"Where's Da?" she asked.

You break down as your daughter asked about her daddy. You try to be strong for your toddler but it seems impossible. You just lost Fili for crying out loud!!

"H-He's..." You try to breathe, your sobs echoing the quiet village. "He's somewhere far...far away..."

You couldn't touch him anymore. You couldn't hug him anymore. You couldn't laugh with him anymore. You couldn't kiss him anymore. He was gone. Fili was gone.

And you never saw him again.