Chapter 6

reasons for dedication: Thankyou so much for all your lovely comments :) You're really sweet and it means a lot that you are enjoying the story so much :) Thankyou :)

**Picture is of Christoph Laurel

-CFF

_______________

No. No--I won't let it happen. Cato kisses me gently on the forehead. And as he walks away my heart goes with him. More than anything I want to volunteer to take Enobaria's place. But I know that time has passed. Besides, Cato would be disappointed it I went in again, considering the baby and all. I watch him trudge to the stage, his head held high. Even now he can contain himself. Oh. I love you Cato. I bow my head, closing my eyes to keep out the tears.

Our final goodbye is short, swift. Not enough time for us to fully say our goodbyes. A guard escorts me into the room where Cato is waiting saying, "One minute." Cato interjects, "Please? She's my wife." The guard looks firm, but after a few seconds he sighs and relents. "Fine. Two minutes." He closes the door and Cato gently envelops me in a hug. "Come back to me Cato." I whisper, "Come back and keep your promise. Remember? You said we'd raise the baby together. You promised. You have to come back to me." I'm rambling but it's all I can do to keep from getting hysterical. Cato gently kisses me saying, "I remember." I open my mouth to say more, but the guard opens the door, telling us our time is up. No, no! There's more I want to tell Cato but my lips won't form the words.

He kisses my forehead one last time and the guard leads him out of the room, closing the door behind him. My eyes threaten to spill over with tears but I force them to wait. Only when I get home and lay on my bed do I allow the dam of water to break loose. Sobbing myself to sleep.

* * *

Cato is in front of me. He's in pain. I scream for him to duck as a spear lands in his stomach making him topple over. A cannon booms--and I wake up on my couch screaming, "CATO!!!!!" I breathe heavily. I fell asleep watching the Hunger Games on my tv and now I watch it in a feverish state, hoping that I really did dream his death. Sure enough, when I begin to lose hope, the camera changes to a shot of him sitting on a beach, staring out at the waves. I breath a sigh of relief. "It was just a dream Clove," I tell myself.

"Just a dream. Like all the other nightmares you've had. They are not real." I get up and clutch my stomach as a wave of pain comes. Gradually it fades so I go into the kitchen to find something to eat. I hope the Games end soon. Cato, a girl from 6, and a boy from 10 are the only one's left. I hope Cato wins. I need him so badly. Suddenly another wave of pain comes, then another, than another. I become scared because I know. "The baby's coming." I whisper. I scream for Christoph to come downstairs. He agreed to stay with me till either the baby came or Cato came home. I scream again, "Christoph! get down here!"

"What is it?" he asks, "Is it important because I'm in the middle of something." I could strangle him. "Yes it's important! The baby's coming!"

"What do you mean the baby's--" It finally gets through his thick skull. "What?! The baby's coming?! Why didn't you tell me!" I pull off a facepalm before he gets down the stairs and helps me into the car. Car's are rare even here. Only victors or extremely wealth families can afford one, victors are given one as part of their winnings from the Games, We arrive at the hospital and they push me in a cart towards the emergency room.

* * *

I sleep heavily. My body is exhausted. I gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. I wake up, hours after the ordeal. My eyes are captivated by the sunset outside of my hospital window. I hear someone' heavy footsteps coming into my room. "How are they doctor? The babies healthy?" I ask without turning around. And the voice I love so well, the voice my heart longed to hear in times of past separation, the one I have memorized--every tone and emotion-- answers me. "Yes Clove. They're doing just fine." Still I don't turn my head. I'm afraid this will be just like the dreams I've had. Where I'll see or hear him but is a fleeting occurrence. I'm scared, like so many times before, that I'll wake up and see that its all another dream.

It's only when the strong sturdy hand grasp's my cold one, giving it a burst of warmth do I realize it's real. Only when I turn my head to the hand's owner and see the deep blue eyes and tussled blonde hair. Only when he speaks again, "Hello Clover." and when I throw myself into his waiting arms do I know. Cato has won the Games again and has come back to me.

I begin to cry silently. I didn't think he could do it. But against all odds, my tired and worn Cato has come home. I let go and look at him saying, "You won?" He chuckles softly. "Yes Clover. I won." He pauses before continuing, "Happy eighteenth birthday." The thought surprises me. That's right. Today's my birthday. I had forgotten all about it. I respond, "Right. Mine and the babies'." He smiles. "Yeah." The nurse brings them both in, handing me my son and Cato his daughter. She leaves, leaving us in peace. Cato is awestruck by his little bundle. "She's so beautiful." He whispers; then adds as he looks at the boy, "And so is he. Have you named them yet?" I shake my head. "No. I thought you could name her and I'll pick his name."

Cato smiles. "Sounds good." Now we have to think. I didn't have anything picked out--honestly I didn't even think about names. "Myna." Cato's voice breaks the silence. "She is Myna Jacov." I nod saying, "I like it. And he will be... Chase. Chase Jacov." The little bundles are so precious, sleeping soundly. Cato kisses me again before saying, "That's perfect. They are perfect." And I know I will never forget this time. The time he came home to help me raise our family. I yawn as Cato takes Chase from my arms. "You kept your promise Cato. I love you," I say smiling as I drift off into dreamless sleep.