Chapter 52 - Salvation

Holly was discharged from hospital over the next few days, but there was still no response from Dani. The police had been back to question her a couple more times, asking if there was anything she remebered that she may have forgotten originally. She stuck with the story, being careful not to change any details. She knew how the cops could twist peoples words to make them look guilty, and she didn't want that. Only this time, she really was guilty.

The relationship between Holly and Allison was strained too.

Allison didn't speak much, and Holly didn't blame her. All she saw when she looked at the brunette was disappointment. Her girlfriend was potentially going to be prosecuted with the murder of another person. This would make her a murderer. What was she thinking?

One morning a few days later, Holly snuck out of the house and made her way to the hospital to see Dani. She hated her, but she didn't want her die. Allison had gone back to work, not wanting to spend too much time on sick leave in fear of losing her job again. She had decided not to tell the principal about the ordeal. Although she didn't really have a reason to, he didn't even know that she had been pregnant.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

At the hospital, Holly had to wait until Dani's parents had left before she could go in to visit. She watched as her mother and father left the room in tears. She thought back to those horrible things she had said to Dani. 'Your father wouldn't come looking for you, they don't care about you.' It was the shittiest thing she'd ever said to a person. She knew what it was like to not have a mother and father that were alive, and if anyone ever said something like that to her, she would be crushed by the thought.When she was confident her parents had left, she walked into her room and sat down. There had been no change, she was still in a coma. The familiar wave of anger washed over her as she came face to face with the red head. This woman had killed my babies, she thought to herself. But right now, all she cared about was making sure Dani didn't die.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Days passed and the relationship between Allison and Holly was more strained than ever. They were constantly getting under each others feet, arguing constantly over the tiniest of things.

"We need to talk." Allison stated bluntly one day, walking into the living room and shutting off the TV.

"I know."

"We can't go on like this." 

Allison was stood in front of her, her arms folded. Holly felt like a child.

The brunette rubbed her forehead. "I'm sorry Allison. I've said it a thousand times. I don't know what else I can do."

"Sorry isn't going to make this all okay though, is it? You can't fix this with a 'sorry'. Dani could die, and if she does, you're going to prison. We've pretended that it's not real but we have to face facts - you could be sent away for murder, Holly. Is that what you want?"

"Stop making me feel like a fucking kid, okay? I'm an adult Allison, I know the consequences of my actions. Jesus, don't you think I know how serious this is? I can't sleep, it's all I can think about. I fucking hate her, I hate all of this pain shes inflicted on us. ON MY FAMILY. You don't have to understand it, but you need to know that I did this because I love you. It wasn't the right way to do things and I wasn't thinking. I wasn't in control of my body and that sounds so fucking pathetic but its the god damn truth. I wanted her to feel even an ounce of the pain I was feeling. She took my babies away from me, please don't let her be the one who takes you away from me too."

Holly stopped talking to avoid crying. She closed her eyes tightly and lowered her head. She fucking hated crying, but her babies had been ripped from her and she couldn't bare the thought of Allison leaving too.

"You're such a fucking idiot. You know that right?" Allison spoke softly. She watched her girlfriend trying so hard not to crumble in front of her. Admitting defeat, she knelt down in front of her and took hold of her hands.

"I'm sorry Allison. I really am. But I wanted to protect you. I love you."

"I know, I know." She replied, stroking the back of the brunettes head gently, being careful not to hurt the cut on the back of her head.

Around 10 minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Allison got up to answer the door while Holly sat silently, listening carefully to see who was there.

"Officer Daley. Come in." She heard Allison say. 

Hollys heart began pounding heavily, her hands were sweating and she suddenly felt sick. What if it was bad news?

Allison entered through the door with Officer Daley following behind. Allison sat down on the couch next to Holly, sliding her hand into her girlfriends and holding tightly. The officer sat down in the chair opposite the pair.

"You'll be pleased to know that there's been some news. It seems as though Miss Freeman has woken up."

Holly inhaled sharply, holding her breath. She couldn't believe it.

"That's good news, right?" Allison asked.

"For us, yes. It means that we'll now be able to get both sides of the story. Providing that both sides of the story match, all charges will be dropped and no further action will be taken. If your stories do not match, we will need to investigate further to find out what really happened. Once she's had time to adjust and settle down, we'll conduct an interview so she can tell us what she knows."