29

Carter tugged at his hair as he watched the scene in front of him. A couple doctors had to force Tori's mother out of the room, and from what he sees through the small window on the door. They're trying to revive her. He felt his heart break for the woman he was going to marry. She has no idea what's happening right now.

"Who the hell are you?" His fiancé's mother cried. "Why are you here?"

The older woman looked identical to Tori, her hair was the same shade of red, only with gray hairs poking out. She had few wrinkles on her face, she was beautiful. The desperation on her face mixed with the fear and depression made Carter want to get sick, he couldn't stop imagining Tori finding out about this, the look she would give him would make him fall to his knees.

"I'm Victoria's Fiancé." He choked out.

"Victoria." The woman's features deepened. "My poor girl isn't going to take this well." Tears fell from her eyes rapidly.

Carter couldn't imagine the kind of pain these women are in, he wanted to hold her in his arms and tell her it was going to be alright, but he couldn't bring himself to move.

"Mom?"

He felt all color in face drain, who the hell called her? She doesn't need to see this shit.

"Carter?" Tori froze in her tracks eyeing him up and down before looking at her mother. "Mom what hap-." Something caught Tori's attention from the corner of her eye. Her small hands dropped to her sides, her eyes glued to the scene. The monitor in the room made the fast beeping nosies as a straight line moved across the screen.

Tori's purse fell from her should as she lunged forward turning the knob, rushing into her sister's hospital room. Her body began to shake as she watched the doctors use the electric heart things, they weren't working. She wanted to yell at them to save her sister but the words wouldn't leave her mouth.

"Somebody get her the hell out of here." A man with a face mask pointed towards Tori. "She doesn't need see this. Get her out now."

Two huge male nurses lifted Tori by the arms, trying to get her out but she wouldn't allow it. The moment she realized she was being pulled away from her sister she started to scream.

Carter rushed to his broken girl pushing the men off her and taking her in his arms.

"Let me go." She yelled. "Let me the fuck go."

Carter held her close to him.

"Calm down Victoria." His time was gentle. "It's going to be okay."

Tori's mother sat beside him on the bench sitting outside her daughter's room. Seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn to hours. Tori had fallen asleep on Carter's lap, while her mother was pacing back and forth for the last four hours. Finally after waiting for so long, a doctor steps out of the room.

"Mrs.Walters, we did everything we could. We couldn't stabilize her long enough for her to make it, I'm so sorry for your loss."

Tori's sister is gone?...

"No that can't be." The mother began to laugh hysterically, tears falling down her cheeks. "She was fine." She yells. "She was doing great this morning, you said she had six fucking months left."

Carter feared that if the woman yelled any louder she would wake Tori.

*******

Carter laid Tori down in his bed, she hasn't said a word since they left the hospital, her bright green eyes dimmed and were clouded with sadness. She allowed him to pull her shirt and pencil skirt off, taking his shirt off and placing it on her, he reaches under the shirt to unhook her bra. After he unclips her bra he throws it on the floor along with his pants, slowly he climbs into his bed. He snakes one arm under her and one over her side, he pulls her into him. He felt her whimper into his chest, he hugged her tighter.

"It's okay." He whispered into her hair. "It's okay."

In time her soft whimpers turned to hysterical cries and back to soft whimpers before she fell asleep in Carter's arms. He felt for this poor woman, he refused to let her go. She wasn't going to be alone durning these hard times.

Sleep didn't come very easily to Carter last night, Tori tossed and turned so much last night but when he woke up she wasn't in bed. Frantically he ran around the house searching for her, only to find her in the kitchen. Cooking.

"What are you doing?" He asked gently.

"Cooking." She smiled brightly at him.

Confusion swarmed Carter like a rain cloud, why is she so chipper with a wide grin on her face. She was dancing around while stacking pancake on top of pancake, on top of pancake. That's when it hit him.

"Hey Victoria, do you want to go do something today? We can call off work and go enjoy ourselves." He stood behind her, wrapping his buff arms around her waist rocking her from side to side.

"Sure what did you have in mind?" She asked placing yet another pancake on top of the mountain sized stack of pancakes.

"Why don't we go see a movie?" He grabbed her hand, spinning her around to face him. "It's only Wednesday the movie theater near here won't be packed."

"Why are you being so nice?" Her perfectly shaped brow rose in question. When she got no response out of him she spoke again. "You're worried I'm going to leave because... my sister..." her voice trailed off as she remembered.

"No that's not it at all, I understand if you want leave. I can't keep up my end of the deal." He mentally punched himself in face when he saw how his words affected her. Fucking dumbass, why can't he just keep his mouth shut? "I'm sorry." He whispered.

"No it's okay, I'm okay.."

Carter cupped Tori's face in his rough hands, forcing her to look up at him. "I'm here for you, you aren't alone."

Wether she wanted to marry him now or not, he wasn't leaving her alone. He would make damn sure she doesn't feel alone.