XXIII

"Yeah I really am."

"-sigh- alright here goes. You're shrewd because you saw that a career on the forefront of the entertainment line would not last long. You're shrewd because you rode on your name to build a business in an industry that you were familiar with and had/have a passion for. You're smart because you leveraged on the skills you gained in the industry, knowing how to read people, being able to spot talents etc.

You are compassionate, I've seen the people who came out from under your wing, no delusions of grandeur and they're really down to earth. You're a family guy, that's where your compassion comes from. I see it in the way you talk about Kyung Hwa. And I don't know why, but for some strange reason, you tend to 'older brother' me too. It's like instincts that kick in even though I'm virtually a stranger to you. You were always worried that I skipped meals or had late one, that I'm not sleeping at the right time, I'm not getting enough rest etc etc.

But then, I meet you, and it's like something else pops in lieu of how you are via texts. It's like you're deliberately trying to charm your way but then you're also holding out at a distance. You don't talk personal matters. You're always talking about other people in terms of relationships. Probably why I don't feel like you're any threat or that you're a danger. That's why, even though I was uncomfortable with what you did just now, I didn't kick and scream like any normal girl would. Namjoon can vouch to what extent I can kick and scream, I nearly ruined his face yesterday.

I figure that you are single for a reason, simply because you want to be. You have commitment issues but you can't afford to be seen as available because it's just a hassle. You are charming and funny, simply because it puts people at ease, it is one of the skills you picked up, flirting with them to boost their self confidence and ego. Most people inherently pick up the bait to talk about themselves if you just know how to prod them. So you're essentially always using your soft skills whether it's at work or with people. Why you're commitment phobic though? That's harder to guess. Maybe someone broke your heart. Maybe someone used you with the pretense of loving you or wanting to be serious with you. Either way, you're using work as an excuse, too busy, the company is not stable yet, career and business still taking flight, you still have bigger plans. Because while all of the business reasons are true, but it's still an excuse."

"It takes one to recognize another. You just laid yourself bare."

"Well, I figured that since you were so exposed and vulnerable, I should do the same."

With that, his smile gets wiped off his face as I turn and walk out of the studio.

"Oh hey Joonie, how long have you been here? Oh God... You heard all that didn't you?"

"I did and so did Suho." Namjoon calmly replies

I scrunch up my face and bit my lips, this was really awkward.

"Shoots. That's supposed to be private."

"Is it all true though?" Suho asks.

"That's for me to know, and for you to keep guessing. I think my stuff should be done. Kyung Hoon, you ready to go? Or are you still stumped with me being able to read you so well?"

"-sighing in defeat- I'm ready to go."

"Right, let me just grab my laptop and we can move off. I'll see you guys next time. I think we have a meeting on Saturday morning right Joonie? Yeah, more future plans."

"Okay, duly noted."

"Bye guys, don't stay too late."

"Y/N, wait!", Suho stops me, "can I get your number?"

"Erm... what for?"

"We should hang out sometime."

"Again, what for?"

"Why not? I think you're interesting."

"Based off the time in the cafe and today? That's about the most interesting I get Suho. You'd be bored of me in two hours."

"I'll take my chances."

"Suit yourself, my number is 91282476310"

"That's not your number." Namjoon and Kyung Hoon points out together.

"The both of you memorised my number?"

Me and Suho stare at them in surprise.

"This is amusing" We turn to see Kyung Hoon standing there observing us, his arms crossed in front of him. "Come on girly, it's time to head home so you can finish up and sleep."

"But what do you mea..."

"Get~!" He walks around me and pushes me out of the studio and shoos me to my desk to grab my stuff.

Once we reach my desk, I lightly punch him on the arm.

"Thanks for that, I was intending to smoke my way out with a fake number."

"I know, you were suddenly too compliant in giving your number. It was also pretty funny to watch you grow uncomfortable as I brought about the attention about your fake number. Do you really think Namjoon will not tell him about the fake number? And besides, I'm not the only one who exposed you! Why are you only hitting me?"

"Because, you're the only one here, and the only one I can hit right now, and I'm annoyed."

I keep lightly punching him.

"Is this your stuff?"

"Yea? It's all packed into my tote bag. I just need to change my shoes."

Suddenly I'm whipped around and hoisted onto his shoulder. He picks up my bag and walks out.

"What are you doing?! Put me down!"

"If I carry you like that, you can't hit me. And if you can, you'd be hitting me where I won't hurt. Don't bother tickling me, I'm not ticklish at all."

"I don't like being manhandled like this."

"You think you don't, but you secretly like to be taken care of."

I heave a deep sigh, "Whatever. Just put me down."

"Don't your feet hurt?"

"Yea?"

"So shut up."

"I can still walk in them you know. I did make a choice and I was prepared to face the consequences"

"Just shut up."

I pause a long awkward silence before I grudgingly say, "Thank you."

"Finally!" He pauses for a while and then I hear him say, "You're welcome. Are you uncomfortable?"

"I'm fine."

"You're uncomfortable, my shoulder must be digging into your stomach."

He slings my bags over his shoulder and suddenly, he's carrying me in his arms.

"Oh!" I wrap my arms around his neck, using my own muscles to support at least some of my weight. I am suddenly very close to him.

"I can come down and walk."

There's a mischievous glint in his eyes, "You know, while observing the three of you just now, I had this wonderful idea."

I recognise that look in his eye, it was always mirrored in his sister's.

"It should be very interesting to do a concept shoot of the three of you. Very interesting indeed."

"No, Kyung Hoon. I'm being serious here. I'm not going get to suckered into this crazy idea of yours. Jeez, you and Kyung Hwa really are birds of the same feather. I'm telling you, a big fat NO."

He sets me down and opens the car door for me, grinning as he closes it, the cogwheels running round and round his head.