Come the following Monday, you officially start work as a co-manager with Hana, taking care of a group of five girls who are about to debut. Excitement ran through your blood despite knowing that it’s tough work. As managers, you were in charge of schedules mainly.

How the schedules come about are due to contacts in the entertainment circle. Of course, the first headstart comes from Sung-Ki. You would come out with an official statement to be released in the press, announcing the arrival of your fresh-faced rookies. After which Sung-Ki will pass out a list of people for the both of you to contact. First step will always be emails. The email consists of a song, some photos and a short description of the concept of their current album. After which it will be a follow up phone call. You sort of guessed that one of the reasons why you and Hana were chosen to get promoted to this position is that you two struck strong rapport with people working in these places. On top of that, it was also radio shows and magazine interviews. Getting to any appearances requires transport and that is where the both of you come in. The girls have to go for dance practice and vocal lessons as well. At least all of them have acquired the accent well enough to not need to go for language lessons that many other trainees required.

Your own main concern was to take care of them. Sung-Ki has stressed that he wants you two to be their big sister in every sense. Taking care of them, supporting them and encouraging them were the biggest concern as he has seen so many others break down emotionally.

Your first day, it wasn’t off to the office as per usual. Your very first steps were at their dorm.

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Y/N. It is very nice to meet you and hope we can work well together.”

You were a good 4 to 5 years older than they are and they were staring at you with their big doe eyes. In your mind, you knew this was going to be at your disadvantage when they use it on you. But right now, they look so scared of you as though you are about to swallow them whole right at this moment.

“Unnie… you are so tall!”

You couldn’t help but laugh at that comment. It immediately set the girls at ease. It’s true that you are taller than most girls, standing at 170cm, but you definitely weren’t the tallest in the industry what with supermodels and such.

“Soo Jin-ah, I’m not tall, I’m just taller than you. You will be taller than me next time.”

It was the truth, she was 18 already almost your height, and still growing, it was obvious.

From this moment on, Soo Jin, Eun Mi, Kyung Hwa, Yoon Sook and Min Ji are officially under your care. At their tender ages ranging from 18 to 20, they were so young and green, constantly being shuffled around. Despite their young age, they had their own dreams and were here, right here right now, fervently chasing their dreams. Professional work motivated them but they were also so lost with so many other things that happen in their young lives.

Over the course of the next year, unofficially, they became your sisters. Being idols, they lost so much of their innocence, being forced to grow up that sometimes, things that happen to them perplexes them so much, it’s hard for them to wrap their heads around it.

Hana and you helped them along. Guiding them as much as you could despite your own limited knowledge. Hana and you try so hard to bridge communications in the beginning but Soo Jin has been stepping up so much more as her position as leader. Between Eun Mi and Yoon Sook, they have started to produce more of their songs, taking up different roles in the makings of their music, Eun Mi doing more composing while Yoon Sook writes lyrics so beautifully. Min ji is dipping her toes into more behind the scenes, doing a lot of their vlogs, recording videos and editing. Her talents are being discovered in variety shows where she knows how to bring out people and hitting key points in comedy. Her acting chops are shown in their soulful and tear jerking music videos. Kyung Hwa is still so young and full of hopes and dreams, trying her hand at all and everything.

As for you and Hana, your duties are pretty well split. Emails are sent to the both of you, but you each have your own sections to deal with. Music, dance and photoshoots related are yours while Hana’s revolves around interviews, variety shows and acting opportunities. You happily made lists of things to bring for each schedule and Hana loved to check them lest you forget anything. You drove most of the time mostly because you were a better driver than Hana with better stamina plus the fact that you hated talking to people on the phone.

It was an open secret that you weren’t the best person to talk to when you are stressed or rushing and while driving you had the tendency to curse.

You deal with social media presence of the girls while Hana highlights interests of potential partnerships, endorsements and sponsorships. The both of you split the workload of scheduling, doing most of the planning as the girls get ready for performances. Or when they are not doing any promotion, there were long hour meetings to do that. Over the past months, their hard work are starting to pay off with their fandom growing and more deals coming in. They need not worry about money anymore. Busy as you all are, you try to find some down time for ourselves. You’re running around a lot so Hana and you try to find some time to nap to rest up for the packing and drive home. About 70% of the time though, these girls never lets you, always claiming that you need to make the most of time. With their abundance of energies, you get teased a lot, asking you to play with them, sometimes just coming over for a chat. As such, you end up in so many of their social media that you and Hana often get dubbed to be 5Butterflies Beta. The seven of you have become close enough for the girls to know how you are like be it in professional or personal modes. They knew not to disturb you when you open your laptop and a frown shows on your face with the imminent sighs. There had been times when they came over and you snapped back at them fiercely. Hana had chided you for it several times. You knew better of course, than to lose Your temper at them but when you apologised to the girls for it, they understood why you were like that. All of you knew to respect boundaries.

A loud scream snaps your attention to them immediately, wondering what happened this time. You relax when you see that it’s only because they see another idol group that they have been friends with for the past few months. You smile, thinking to yourself, how girls will still be girls with their teenage girl excited screaming. You can hear the excitement in their conversation as their voices carries over the music that is coming through the headphones. A lot of the time you filter the background noise as you concentrate on work. For some strange reason this time, you tune in to their catch up session with the other group about their plans and what they have been working on. Your heart twinges as you come to realise that it hasn’t even been a year and the girls have gone through so much to have come so far.

“Y/N-ssi!”

You get a shock from someone being in your face.

“Woah! You scared me Sejin-oppa!”

“I did call you several times but you were too engrossed in your thoughts. A penny for them.”

You stick out your hand demanding payment, “Pay me first then.”

It was a long standing running joke ever since you knew him from work about one and half years ago. He had caught you staring blankly at a wall while you were resting.

“Too poor.”

“Too bad. No such thing as free information. How about a trade?”

Laughing he relents, “ What do you want to know? I won’t answer until you tell me your thoughts though.”

“1. BTS is here for interview? Their schedules are really packed. 2. I heard Starlight might be bought over. What have you heard? I was just thinking on how my girls have come so far. I’m so proud of them. Very soon they will be able to live their dreams and not just be talking about it.”

“Y/N-ssi…”

You turn to him and look him in the eye. And that was all you needed. In that instant, you knew.