XXI

Snapping my attention back to my dat... to Kyung Hwa's brother, I try my best to hide my surprise. Kyung Hwa never showed me his picture because she wanted to surprise me, that cheeky brat. Her brother is seriously good looking and well, it's a face that I used to be familiar with. He used to be one of the top models in Korea and at the peak of his career, he decided to ride on his name and start a modelling and media agency. He was famous for bringing new and fresh faces to the industry, a whiz at spotting talent and very proficient at training them. He was infamous for his desire to do more creative photoshoots, things that break the norm and bring controversial topics. I guess the former was what brought the money in to fuel his creative endeavours.

"I am. So it's you. No wonder your sister didn't want to show me your picture."

"Yes, I did tell her to do that. I didn't want you to act all weird even through text. I wanted to see how you truly are. Kyung Hoon, by the way."

"Y/N, it's nice to officially meet you. I guess the good genes run in the family."

"What? My gangly little sister is a true blue beauty? That brat?"

"She is to me."

"Good. I hate to be taking someone out to dinner who didn't think so. Even if they are as gorgeous as you are."

Cringing, "Oooopphhh... did you really just say that? That's so cheesy! Are you always like that?"

"Always, but then, it doesn't make it any less true. You look very beautiful today."

"Thank you.." smiling slightly back at him.

"You don't believe me do you?"

I shrug, not giving him an actual answer, leaving it up to his interpretation.

"Alright, I promised dinner."

We arrive at the sushi place, and after we place our orders, we delve into conversation

"So what made you go into this line?"

"I actually started out as a graphics intern at Starlight three years ago. The company was small back then, and we didn't have enough resources, so you kinda get pulled into doing almost everything and anything. After that, I was offered a one year contract to be a production assistant. By the end of it, she felt like I was more PA to her than an actual production assistant and thought that an idol manager role suited me more. She put in the recommendation for me. I loved the work. But mothering the girls, that was the best. I felt like I gained family, 5 sisters."

I let the silence draw out for a bit before I continued the conversation, "So how was it like growing up with Kyung Hwa?"

"Drove me nuts. She was always jumping around, being all hyperactive and so demanding for attention. Headstrong and stubborn, she had so many crazy ideas."

He launches story after story of how they grew up, doing crazy antics that drove their parents crazy. We talked about music, movies, friends, crazy stuff we seen at work. I thoroughly enjoyed Kyung Hoon's company. He puts me at ease, and I can sense that to him, this date is nothing more than just going out.

My phones chimes a message. And another. Then another.

"Sorry, I need to take a look at this. Sounds urgent."

=Unnie! I tried to put up on test=
=There's something wrong, the layout is all weird now=
=I can't find where it went wrong.=
=I'm really sorry to disturb your dinner, but I've been debugging for the past hour.=

=Calm down Hyorin=
=I'll deal with it, no worries. You can get some rest now. :)=

"Trouble at work?"

"Yeah, I need to go back to the office to grab some stuff after this."

"Sure, I'll go with you."

"So you're taking this as an opportunity to scout for talents? You do know your reputation precedes you."

"Damn, you just blew my cover. Truth is, I'm really curious to see the place my sister has been inhaling air from. That, and I did promise to send you home, right to your doorstep. She tells me that you work late all the time and from the texts from the past few weeks, I can tell."

With a small laugh, "I was actually intending to finish it up in office."

"How do you intend to get home after?"

"I live about 15 minutes walk away. If I walk fast. And I suspect that it's a quick fix."

"But how are you going to walk fast in your heels?"

"I have shoes from my workday today. Did you actually think I wore this around at work today? People would think that I'm crazy."

"Why would they think that? You're beautiful, you should just wear it to work."

"In any case, tell Kyung Hwa not to worry about me."

"That's another thing that Kyung Hwa has told me about. You tend to walk home even when it's late and your instincts scream at you to not walk home."

"I didn't know they knew that much about me."

"You said you were family right? They care a lot about you. Consider me as an extension. You don't want her to worry about you? Take up my offer to give you a ride then. It'll be a give and take. I drive you to your office, you get your stuff ready, and I'll send you home after. In exchange for that, you show me around the place."

"Alright, deal."

"I'll call for the bill, and put away your purse. This meal is on me. As thanks, like we agreed."

Smiling in surrender, "Thank you for the lovely dinner."

Making it back to the office in double time because there's no traffic. As we enter the office, a question pops into my mind.

"I have a question for you."

"Let's do a 1 for 1."

"How long did Kyung Hwa badger you into this dinner? And why did you eventually agree?"

"Why do you assume that it was a hardship to go out to dinner with you? She just talked about her time in Seoul. And one particular incident really caught my attention, about how there was this one time, you stopped an assistant producer from the tv station from hitting a girl from another group. You don't take shit, so you didn't apologize after that and just said that you would make a report for abuse. She then showed me your picture. I told her that I should take you out to dinner."

"I didn't even know she saw that. And that was so long ago."

"It made a huge impression on her. On me even."

"Wait, she showed you one of my pictures? Oh good lord, all the pictures she has of me are ugly goofy ones."

"Don't worry, it wasn't one of those. She took a picture of you asleep. You were still frowning in your sleep. I was still wondering how are you stressed even in your sleep? And another one where you were laughing. You were standing by the window and the sun shone through, illuminating your face. It brought out your features."

"Seriously, did you drink a whole jar of honey today?"

"That's up to you to guess. So my question."

"Right, 1 for 1 exchange. Go ahead."

I wake my laptop to get the files downloaded to work on at home.

"Kyung Hwa says she always shocked from how open you are. Whether it's about sexual orientation and/or sexuality. You are always the one who gets dirty jokes first and you always laugh the loudest. You even openly explain context and stuff to them."

"I don't hear a question?"

"Are you still a virgin?"