CHAPTER 56

Like clockwork, Damien King's driver was outside Katya's apartment building at 7.30am waiting for her. Katya had gotten into the car with a stiff smile and a mumbled hello to the driver who had to turn to look at his passenger, a questioning look plastered on his face as to why his usually jovial p[passenger seemed uptight and tight-lipped today.

He didn't comment on her mood. And Katya didn't give any explanation. Not that she had to.

As soon as Katya had stepped foot into the car she had told the driver to take her straight to the office. He tried to protest, telling Katya that he had been instructed to bring her to the mansion, but Katya had put her foot down and insisted that she had to be at the office and that he should tell Damien King that she had insisted on being dropped at the office.

Reluctantly the driver had agreed, mumbling some incoherent things that Katya didn't care to ask him to repeat. Today was the kind of day that Katya usually never had, the kind of day that even if the world were to freeze over, she wouldn't give a toss.

Katya looked out the window of the car as the car sped past other cars, its strong and superior engine showing its magnificence in balance even at top speed. Of course it was an expensive car, the kind only the likes of the god-man could afford.

Katya hissed, as images of Damien King flooded her mind. Why had she been so stupid to have given her heart and body to a man like him. What did she expect to get out of it? Commitment? Love? This was a man who could have any woman he desired, so why would he waste his time on plain little her.

He was the straw that had broken the camel's back, that straw that had made Katya take the decision to resign. She would have tolerated the stalking, even spied for the agency, but having Damien King talk to her so condescendingly after surrendering herself to him, was what she couldn't bear.

Moya had thrown a mini tantrum when Katya told her that she wanted to resign from Wilson and Wilson, calling Katya a cry baby who backed off from a challenge when the going became tough. Katya had been quiet, and after Moya had gotten tired of her little rantings, Katya had sat her down and given her the insider scoop of why she had made up her mind to leave; Damien King had slept with her and had become a monster hours later.

Katya had watched her friend's facial expression change from that of irritation to bewilderment, her mouth open in utter shock.

"You slept with your boss? " Moya had repeated, to be sure she was hearing Katya well.

"Yes, but it's obvious that he just needed me to warm his bed-"Katya murmured, her lips trembling more from anger than sadness. She had been deflowered by an idiot, a man who had used and disposed her like tissue paper.

"Oh Lord! How could you have been so easy? Men like your boss respect women who give them a hard time before seeing their knickers," Moya hissed, shaking her head in disgust.

"Look, I didn't plan it. It-It just happened," Katya lashed out, upset that her friend was making her look like some easy lay.

"Oh give me a break Katya! Sex doesn't just happen! First there's the kissing and then the removing of the knickers and the-"

"I get the picture," Katya hissed, trying to hold back her tears. Why was Moya not being understanding? Why was she being so mean? Why had the universe turned everyone against her?

'I'm not trying to judge you Katya," Moya's tone softened, as though it  had just dawned on her that she had touched a raw nerve, " I just don't want any man treating you like trash."

"How I was I to know that I would be treated like this with the first man I ever gave myself to," Katya flinched in regret as soon as those words flew out of her mouth. Now Moya knew the secret she had kept hidden all this while.