CHAPTER 13

Katya stayed awake the entire night, the entire drama that had begun in her life since she started working for Damien King, replaying itself over and over again.

This was not the time to call Moya. She was panicked enough, she certainly didn't need Moya to aggravate an already overwhelming situation.

She had just been in Wilson and Wilson for less than a week and yet she was going through a harrowing experience. Who was she to tell this tale?

If peradventure Officer Jack was the intruder, where in Pete's name could she run to? The police were the ones the citizens were supposed to run to for protection, but if the police had a hand in the conspiracy, or whatever it was that was brewing, how in the world was she supposed to get the protection she needed. It might just be a coincidence that the intruder and officer jack had the same tattoo, or it could be a slightly different tattoo.

Nonetheless, she couldn't risk him knowing that she had seen the tattoo on the intruder's hand. If he was the intruder, he could harm her or make her disappear like Tara. This was a game of chance she was not willing to play.

Katya got up from bed as her alarm went off, not that she had even slept a wink. Her body ached and she could feel her eyelids swollen and tingling in pain. Money was good and Wilson and Wilson had offered her a good salivating paycheck, but her life was of more value than all the riches in the world.

A yawn came flying out of her mouth. Imagine that. Now that she was supposed to be getting ready for work, sleep had decided to rear its head. It was six o'clock and she would have to spend her day at work sleepy eyed.

Getting up and stretching as far as her tired bones and muscles could stretch, she shook her head as a recap of last night flashed across her mind. How she had even been able to stay in the apartment the whole night without running mad with fear surprised her. When she first saw the intruder, she remembered she had been seized by a crippling kind of fear, the kind that called for irrational actions. Yet, she had been able to call her father Moya and even the police.

Katya smiled. Maybe she was eventually growing into the woman she had always wanted to be, brave and bold. Whatever the case anyway, she would have to change all the locks in her house. And it had to be done today without fail.

But how could she achieve that when she was expected to report to work at eight in the morning and close at night or whenever Damien King released her, which was never at a decent time of day.

If she alerted the office that she had had a break-in and that she wanted to change the locks, if the intruder was working side by side with someone from her office, then that would be giving the intruder a head start on what to expect were he to want to repeat a break-in.

No.

She wouldn't inform the office of what she wanted to do. She would brave it and call Damien King and tell him that there was a break-in and that she would need today off work.

Katya nodded her head in satisfaction.

Yes, that excuse sounded reasonable enough. Which animal would expect her to come in to work today after what had happened? Maybe the kind that inhabited the likes of Damien King.

'Not fair,' Katya scolded herself. He was many things, but an animal he was not.

Bamboo was flapping excitedly as soon as Katya entered the living room.

Katya's hand flew to her head as her eyes caught sight of the excited parrot. In all the mayhem of last night she had forgotten to feed her pet parrot.

Katya entered the kitchen and got some food for Bamboo. Poor thing. Not so long ago, the problem she had was over feeding Bamboo. Now the reverse was the case.