CHAPTER 12

Darling, you must call the police. Why are we even having this conversation now? Call them now! "The loud deep voice of Professor May sternly commanded through the phone.

"Daddy what can the police do? All they will say is that I should write a lengthy report about what happened and to describe someone I never saw in the first place.

Yes, I know, but it is better to report it so that if there is a next time...."

"God forbid daddy," Katya quickly cut him short.

"Yes, yes..." Came her father's impatient voice, then he continued, "...I love you very much and I know you are an adult capable of taking care of yourself. But won't you indulge your old man and do me this favour by reporting this to the police. Or do you want me to worry endlessly about your safety? Its not good for my heath."

He had played the sympathy card and waited. If he was right....

"Oh daddy, of course I will report this to the police. Please don't allow this to worry you. I want you happy and not worrying over me.

Professor May smiled. He always did know how to get his daughter to do his bidding even if he had to resort to a little emotional blackmail to get it done.

"Good girl, now your father can sleep in peace."

"Daddy you worry too much."

"Better me than your mum. She would have been on her way to your house now," her father chuckled.

"Hehehe, imagine mum hoping into a plane at the dead of night," Katya chuckled.

'Never under estimate that woman. If it can be done, she will get it done."

Both father and daughter laughed some more, sharing jokes and making fun of their wife and mother.

As soon as Katya hung up, she called the police and made a report about what had happened. They promised to dispatch a police man to her house immediately.

Maybe daddy was right, I need to report this done just in case...Katya shuddered at the thought of having yet another intruder in her apartment.

Moya! She needed to call Moya.

"Finally! I thought you had forgotten,' came Moya's sleepy voice which she was trying so hard to conceal.

"Sorry I woke you up," Katya apologized knowing that her friend must have been sleeping.

"Nooo, don't be silly, I was just relaxing...." She began and then as she did, a loud yawn escaped her mouth. "...Yeah well, I might have drifted off a bit,' she giggled.

"Sorry. Okay let's have this discussion tomorrow then."

"We will do no such thing. The moment is now....," Still another yawn but this time she stifled it.

"Well, if you say so," replied Katya feeling a pang of guilt. Just because she was working absurd hours and her life had turned into a sketch from a horror movie, didn't mean her friend had to suffer for it.

"For starters, someone broke into my house about an hour ago," Katya said as she double checked her bedroom door making sure it was securely locked. The police would soon be here, but still, she didn't want to take any chances.

"What!!"

Katya could tell that if indeed her fiend was sleepy before now, every trace of sleep was sure to have left her by now.

"Yes, in fact I saw the intruder leave," Katya continued, keeping her voice low, just in case...just in case someone was listening from the outside of her bedroom window.