CHAPTER 10

The study was dark, the entire room looked forlorn and had a feel of emptiness embedded in it. This wasn't how Katya remembered this room, this wasn't the energy she felt the last time she was in this room.

The books were still on the floor, in the piles she had arranged them in, the shelves had not started gathering dust and shone as though wood polish had been applied to them.

Katya took in a deep breath and exhaled loudly, as she walked towards the chair she had sat on the last time she was here.

Sitting down as though the burden of the world rested on her shoulders, she let her eyes roam the entire room; indeed, the study had been left the exact way she had left it, yesterday.

She looked at the window, its drapes shielding the sun's access to the room. Why hadn't it been drawn open? Why hadn't anyone come into this room to try and tidy up some things?

It wasn't as if the room in itself was dirty, no, it was just an untidy mess, the books all spread out on the floor being the major culprit. Well, someone could have arranged the books in one corner instead of allowing them occupy the entire space on the ground.

'This is your doing,' Katya reprimanded herself as she got up and dropped her bag on the chair.

As soon as they had gotten to the mansion, Damien King had instructed the butler to escort Katya to the study, and that was it. The butler had opened the door to the study and had left Katya standing there.

What if she wanted someone to help her sort out the books on the shelves? What if she needed a cloth to wipe some of the books or...?

Katya rolled her sleeves and knocked off her shoes; she was going to arrange the books as best as she could, with or without help.

Then, her eyes darted to the desk; she was looking for something. Yes, the list she had made on how to shelve the books. She had left the piece of paper on the desk but it wasn't here anymore.

Katya searched the whole of the table, then underneath it, then by the sides of the desk; nothing.

Her hands flew to her waist as she wondered if she had mistakenly placed it in one of the books.

No.

she was sure she had left it on top of the desk.

She rubbed her forehead. She would have to pray that she remembered how she had designed and tabulated the arrangement of the books on that paper. It was the perfect arrangement really, one that she was sure Damien King would like.

Suddenly, the door swung open, and in came the butler carrying a tray with the customary tea and biscuits.

"Would you be needing anything?" he had dropped the tray on the desk and was looking at Katya.

"Yes, please, a cloth to clean off dust and a sheet of paper and pen please," Katya responded sweetly, feeling guilty that a man, almost three times her age she was sure, was serving her.

"Very well, "he said and then left the study.

Katya's eyes drifted to the tray; today the biscuits looked different. She walked over to the tray and bent her head. Yes indeed they were chunky cookies with generous cherry toppings. Yum! The temptation was there to munch some cookies, but work had to come first, and besides, she wasn't hungry- yet.

"Good afternoon Miss," the same maid from yesterday greeted as she walked in carrying a duster and a sheet of paper and pen.

"Good afternoon miss...? Katya looked inquiringly at her.