CHAPTER 26

"Yes, I see it. No it's not a spy cam per say. It's in most of the offices," Felix said, craning his neck to look at the little cam on the wall that Katya had just discovered. Katya stood by his side, her eyes also fixed on the little gadget that had arrested her attention.

Katya had quickly rushed to Felix's office to have him check out why there was a spy cam in her office.

'Oh? I had no idea that I was being watched this entire time," Katya said, wrapping herself with her arms, the thought of someone sitting behind a table monitoring her making her uncomfortable.

"Don't worry, half of the time it's not even powered on, " Felix assured, as he walked towards the couch and sat down, then continued, " Its placed there so that when foul play is being suspected, there can be a means by which to monitor such a person."

"So creepy," Katya hissed, giving the gadget a hateful stare as she sat next to Felix on the couch.

"Sometimes it helps to have these cameras in work places. You won't believe the havoc some people perpetuate in the office," Felix stated, shrugging his shoulders.

Katya winced, recalling all those times when she talked aloud to herself when she felt no one was listening. Was the camera recording her then?

"Well I just feel it's quite invasive that's all," Katya stressed, as she turned to give the camera a quick look.

"Anyway, like they say, it's only the guilty that need be afraid," he laughed bashfully, winking at Katya.

Katya didn't think there was anything funny about a camera in her office or the fact that Felix was comfortable with the whole set-up.

"Sorry Felix, but I don't share in your amusement. It's an invasion of privacy," Katya huffed.

"You as a lawyer should understand that it is the right of Wilson and Wilson to install these gadgets if it feel it will provide a safe working environment for its employers and employees."

Katya said nothing. What could she say? Felix was right to an extent. But that didn't mean she had to be comfortable with these pesky things monitoring her every move.

"Are you okay?" Felix asked, arching his brows as he looked at the troubled woman by his side.

"Yes, I guess," Katya nodded as she rose from the couch and headed for the desk.

Katya sat on her recliner and shot the camera a disapproving look. This was quite unnecessary really. To have cameras fixed in the lobbies or public areas was one thing, but to have them fixed in individual offices was really ridiculous and an invasion of privacy.

Felix got up and slowly walked up to the desk, a smile on his lips. "I see it makes you uncomfortable."

"I would have to get used to it, wouldn't I?" Katya shrugged, picking up the documents and leafing through them. "I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

"Everybody has a choice. It's just that not every choice is the right one."

"Hmmm..."

"Let me allow you to work. If there's anything, just call, it will save you the energy of coming all the way to my office,' Felix picked a stick-it from the stack of multi-coloured stick-it notes on Katya's desk and scribbled down his phone number.

Katya smiled. What a considerate guy, she thought as her eyes traveled to his left hand which he had placed on the desk as he wrote.

No ring, Katya observed. Although on the finger that was always used for wedding rings, there was an indentation of the skin, as though it had recently worn a ring. Maybe he had recently divorced or separated.