Chapter 38

I shouldn't be over thinking as much as I was, but I couldn't help it.

A week after spotting the mysterious man I was scared something terrible was going to happen.

"He's just a normal dude Christie, you're over thinking." Phoebe had said when Christie voiced her concerns.

"You didn't see the way he was just stood there, watching." Christie sulked. It was more to her than just a random dude minding his own business, something about his sluggish but alert posture, how he was dressed in a tracksuit with a baseball cap and the hood up. Anyone who's lived in Britain know the majority of those that wear tracksuits are thugs.

"Maybe he was waiting to be picked up and coincidentally when you turned your back, the car came and picked him up." Phoebe retorted. Christie stayed silent, it was no use trying to convince her now.

But I heard no cars.

Ever since I'd been alert when working late at the library I often found myself gazing out the window at the same spot I saw the man.

When locking up I'd walk all around the building, looking for signs of hoodlums or damage.

I even checked the CCTV daily. But I came up empty handed all the time.

I began to believe he was just a random dude, and before the second week after the mysterious sighting came, I'd almost forgotten all about it.

It was Saturday, and I was starting my shift at the library at 10am.

"Hey Mrs Holland." I greeted cheerfully as I saw her at the front desk.

"Hello Christie dear. How are you?" She put down the books she was holding and came over.

"Good, and you?" I bent down to scratch Twinkie as he came tottering over.

"A lot more relaxed now that my temporary equipment has been moved back upstrais." After the library was finished and furnished Mrs Holland had set to work moving back in upstairs. She wouldn't stay there all the time, maybe a few times a week to watch over the library. The rest she'd stay with her daughter.

I picked up the books Mrs Holland had dropped and set them in their rightful place.

Customers came and left the library all day, all wowed and astounded by the amount of work that had been put into the library. I couldn't help but feel chuffed with all their compliments.

I left the front desk at 1 to have my lunch where Mrs Holland took my place.

"I'm going to subway, would you like anything?" I asked Mrs Holland. She shook her head but I knew she'd want a cookie at least.

I shrugged my coat on and stepped out into the cold air. It felt freezing outside compared to being in the heated library.

I walked a few minutes across the street to Subway. There was a slight queue when I entered so to pass the time I quickly looked at my phone. I ordered and paid, but when I was fetching my sandwich the guy in front of me bumped into my shoulder.

He apologised quickly, looking at me briefly before hurriedly walking out the shop with his sandwich.

I watched his back as he left, feeling slightly confused at the whole ordeal. Oh well, he was probably just super socially awkward.

I grabbed my meal and headed out the shop and back over to the library.

"Oh Christie, you shouldn't have." Mrs Holland said as I handed her the cookie. Nevertheless, she took it greatfully.

"I just knew you'd want one." I smiled and sat on the chair behind the counter eating my sub.

By the time it was 4pm the sky was already heading into it's dark descent. Not many people visited the library once it started to get dark, but there was the odd couple.