Chapter 35

Aaron's car sat in the driveway as I approached the house home from school that day.

Strange, he told me he had work to do?

I unlocked the door and stepped inside. The house was silent and then I figured Aaron must've walked to wherever. Which I still found a bit odd.

Kicking off my shoes and bag, I grabbed my laptop and started to do my maths homework.

After about an hour I'd finished my homework and was putting it away when the door opened.

"Hello?" Aaron's voice rang through the hallway.

"Hello." I replied and pressed the TV on to Netflix.

"Hey Christie." I looked up and saw Lori through the doorway.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked and scooted over so she could sit next to me.

"Not bad, having to deal with that." She pointed to Aaron and I giggled.

"That." He mumbled under his breath and I laughed again.

"Aw c'mon babe you know I'm messing." She smiled and he grinned. I made a gagging noise which made them both laugh.

"I'm going to get changed." He said and went upstairs. When he was out of earshot I bombarded Lori with the birthday plan.

"So we're thinking of having a surprise pool party for Aaron's birthday, and I know you used to swim so I thought it would be quite fitting, whaddya' say?"

"Yes! Sounds amazing." She nodded enthusiastically. "Where I used to swim, they had parties. I never went to any but I got told. I can help you organise it?" She suggested.

"That's a great idea!" The door to Aaron's bedroom opened and he started jogging down the stairs.

"We'll talk about this after." I whispered and she nodded.

Aaron planned down next to Lori, casually swinging his arm around her shoulders and pressed play on Netflix.

~*~*~*

The next day

"So, Lori and I have come up with this surprise pool party for Aaron's birthday and we need your help." Myself, Katy, Nicki, George and Lori all sat round the dining room table like heist criminals with blueprints to a bank.

I unrolled the large piece of paper which showed an illustration of the Brown's indoor swimming pool, and the conjoining room which was a hallway which led to the shower and dining room.

"Ok, so I'm thinking after everyone's been in the pool, go into the shower room to get changed, come back into the kitchen and everyone can get food then we can go into the cinema room and watch movies or whatever." I explained, moving my phone torch over the rectangle which was the pool and then over the kitchen and cinema room.

"Nicki, your job is to keep Aaron away from the scene so we can set it all up, you must bring him through the back otherwise he'll see the food in the kitchen and boom! Busted." I clapped my hands loudly for effect.

"Katy, George, you two will set up food and drink in the kitchen. Please, don't eat it all." George smirked but promised his best behaviour.

"Lori and I will set up the pool, you know with toys and stuff." I shrugged.

Everyone nodded and was clear with their instructions.

A car engine rumbled into ear shot and headlights beamed through the window before shutting off.

"Quick! Clear the table!" I yelled and smothered my body on the 'blueprints' and gathered the crumpled paper in my hands.

"Who's got the guest list?" I asked frantically as I heard Aaron's car door shut.