Unrequited (Re-Published) [Part 3]

Max's POV

Even though it had been 6 years I could've found him anywhere. His black-rimmed glasses peeked out from curly light brown hair that hung in front of his face. He needs to get his hair cut.His fair ivory skin reminded me of a white seashell nestled in the sand at the beach. But the one thing I would always be able to find him by was his eyes. Amber colored eyes that shone through the lens of his glasses.

"Ross," I said barely audible enough to be considered a whisper. He stared back at me with a blank expression as if he had no idea who I was. People bustled around us but everything seemed silent even with all the movement encompassing us. It was if time stood still everything around us was meaningless and all that was the two of us here.

As I looked at Ross it seemed as if my perception was making him look closer than he actually was. "No I'm walking toward him," I realized. Soon he was inches away from my face and I gazed into his eyes one last time and hugged him as fiercely as I could. For a second Ross didn't hug back, but eventually his arms wrapped around mine and we stood there in our embrace and time didn't matter.

When we let go I smiled at him and he smiled back. "Wow look at you Ross," I said, "Have you gotten shorter since the last time I saw you?" I laughed and he punched me in the arm. He gave me a quick hug and I gladly accepted.

"So what are you doing here in Washington, Max?" He asked me continuing to smile.

"An old friend of mine asked me to come work for him so I thought "why the hell not?" and came," I explained to him. Yeah, and his friend was supposed to be here about 30 minutes ago

"Really? That old friend wouldn't have happened to be have been named Adam would it?" He asked me. Ross' eyes seemed to get brighter as he asked the question and his expression full of hope.

"Yeah actually it would be his name is Adam Dahlberg and I'm supposed to be working with him on videos for YouTube," I told him. His face seemed to get even more excited and then he squealed a little too loud for someone who was in an airport.

He looked around at the people around us and apologized. I tilted my head "Why are you so excited Ross?" He looked back at me and his amber eyes seemed so bright they almost hurt to look at. "Umm yeah, why?" I ask backing up a few steps.

I could tell he was on the verge of screaming again so I stopped him before he could. "Please don't scream again," I asked him. He immediately calmed down "Sorry it's just I'm here to pick someone from the airport for Adam. I'm guessing you're that person," he said with a smile.

My eyes widened and he smiled even wider if that was possible. "Wait are you serious?!" I asked him. He nodded and I think I may have screamed if people weren't around us. My first time seeing Ross in years and I already get to work with him.

"Well, you're about 30 minutes late. Next time don't leave me at the altar," I said jokingly. I laughed but he almost appeared to be-blushing? Maybe it was something I said? "Yeah whatever," He said the blush disappearing "Let me help you get your luggage." He picked up the two bags at my feet and began to walk out of the airport.

I walked beside him and tried to grab one of my bags from him. He jerked his hand away from mine and glared at me "No way Max I was 30 minutes late, I'm going to carry your bags." I laughed at him and held my hands up in defense.

"Whatever you say Ross" I laughed "Just be glad those are my clothes and not my computer stuff." When we left the airport at the front he set my bags on the ground and searched his pockets for his keys. I took this opportunity and snatched my bags away from him and carried them myself.

When Ross found his keys he looked at me and noticed me holding my bags. "Come on Max at least let me carry one," he pleaded. I looked at him and telling him no felt like kicking a puppy. "Fine," I said relinquishing the lighter one to him.

He took it gleefully and we walked to his car which was parked in the front of the parking garage next to the airport. He opened the trunk of his car and placed my first bag in then put in the second one. "Damn," He muttered and bent down to fix something. He placed his keys on the closed trunk and I quickly took them and got in the driver's seat of the car.

I put the keys in the ignition and started up the car. Ross swiftly appeared on the driver's side of the door and knocked on the window. I rolled the window down a little bit that way he wouldn't be able to unlock the car from the inside door.

"How can I help you?" I said mocking him. Ross' eyes shot daggers at me "Max get out of the front seat, you don't even know where to go." I shrugged and rolled the window back up. He groaned and walked to the other side of the car and got into the passenger's side of the car.

"Where do I go, Ross?" I asked.

"Well, first you're going to want to get on the highway and then take exit 27B to Interstate 13," He told me and I put the car in drive and left the parking garage to get on the highway.

Ross' POV

We were on the road heading back toward the offices when I heard a strange noise almost like something growling. "Hey, Max did you hear that?" I asked him. I turned and he looked at me and gave me a disgruntled smile "Yeah about that is there somewhere we can stop for food. I was on the plane for a while and I'm really hungry."

I chuckled "Yeah there is a subway nearby. If you get on this exit that is coming up it should be on your right." He nodded in agreement then turned onto the exit to get to Subway. We parked and went into the Subway.

We ordered and sat down eating our sandwiches while talking about Max's new plans. "So Max do you have a place to stay?" I asked him. He looked up from his sandwich and set it down so he could talk. "Adam set me up with some of his friends, when I go to his offices he should be introducing me to who I'm staying with," he told me.

I smiled at him and he looked at me confused. "Why are you smiling at me?" he asked me. I set my sandwich down "Well I guess Adam won't mind if I spoil the surprise early." Max kept staring at me confused and I didn't stop smiling.

"Max, you're going to be staying with me and my friend Tim," I told him. He nearly started coughing up his sandwich after that. "Wait are you serious?!" He asked after finally clearing his throat. I nodded and he shouted with glee taking note of the people around us making sure there weren't too many people

After that, we got back into the car and started driving back toward the office. During the drive, we kept talking about living arrangements and where he would be staying. When we finally reached the offices we walked toward the front door.

"Hey Ross I've been meaning to ask you how you know Max," he asked me.

"Well-" I was cut off when a dark shape came from the front and wrapped around me. It took me a minute to realize it was Adam giving me a hug. "I was wondering when you would be back babe," he told me and pulled me in for a long kiss.

Behind me, I heard someone suck in their breath, but I didn't pay attention. When Adam finally stopped I turned back to Max and answered his question.

"Well Adam is my boyfriend," I said.

Above the three a single crow nested in a tree watching them with a single cold eye.

One for sorrow.