Heart Strings Chapter Twenty One

If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it

Jonathan Winters

21

-Nathan P.O.V-

Saturday finally arrived. It seemed that Friday went disgustingly slow on purpose, but you can never tell.

Thursday was weird though. Other than the complete unpredictability that my mum would suddenly expose her good side, Sephy apologised to me. Next freaky thing? Once again, Sephy and another guy, only this time, that guy was one of my best friends, David.

I didn’t want to believe it. I wanted to think I was being paranoid again. Thing is, I was pretty sure of it this time.

Thursday night, Sephy texted me asking for David’s number. I didn’t really think about it and gave it to her. Almost literally two seconds later, David texted me asking for Sephy’s number. I stared at the text for a while, wondering why they’d want each other’s numbers. Surely, if anyone, it should be Tony asking? But then I got another one from David saying ‘never mind.’

 I text him asking why but he wouldn’t tell me. I told him that I knew something was going on, he asked me if Sephy had told me anything and that definitely alerted me if nothing else. Something was happening.

I told him no, though I realised afterwards that I should have said yes, and he said ‘okay, got to go now,’ and stopped texting me.

I felt so confused. Something was definitely up. And it wasn’t like Sephy could make an excuse to me this time about how David was gay because I knew him better she did, though in the end she said that she didn’t even know that Adam liked her. 

I barely talked to David on Friday because we didn’t have any lessons together, and when we could talk, he was always talking to someone else. Coincidence? I think not.

I wasn’t going to confront her about it this time though. I decided I would just watch them during ice skating. If they kept disappearing then... I was right... Basically.  Though what would happen if I was?

I would have proved that Sephy was now with David too, but I wouldn’t have the courage to tell her that I liked her... That she should be with me...

Huh, I guess I deserved it. Being an apparent player for so long... And then I fell in love with Sephy...

I had a desperate urge to call Jewel but we were supposed to be meeting up at the Rink in 45 minutes and getting there would take about that long.

As I left the flat, David and Sephy never left my mind. David was such a dark horse. He’d never shown any interest in anyone before, and now that I actually liked someone... both he and Tony and that not-so-gay Adam guy were interested. And as if it wasn’t bad enough, she had a boyfriend who was apparently very dangerous who thinks she likes me and had already taken down one of her ex’s. Was it just Sephy?

I sighed. Well Nathan, you’re in for a real treat.

When I arrived, everyone else was already there. Ian and Sammie were talking, Tony was flirting with Tabby, Aimee, Mel, Adam and Sam were talking in a group and Sephy and David were talking intensely.    

I tried not to look at them as I made my way to Ian and Sammie who blushed and stopped talking as soon as I reached them. ‘Am I interrupting something?’ I smirked, even though the very thought depressed me. Everyone was paired up; except me.