Heart Strings Chapter Five

5

In a heated argument we are apt to lose sight of the truth

Publilius Syrus

Shutting the front door behind me and leaning against it in exhausted confusion, I tried to think back to what exactly had happened on the strange bus ride home.

First of all, waiting for the bus in the first place had been really awkward. Nick wouldn’t even speak to me and Sammie kept sneaking me secret looks and giggling. Well, until Nick told her to shut up. Then she just gave him Sammie’s Special Evil Eyes.

When the bus eventually arrived and we got on, Nick almost didn’t sit next to us. I had to beg him in front of the whole bus while Sammie kept saying I should stop as I was degrading myself for a boy when, really, who cared? That boy was my boyfriend right?

Besides, it worked.

Things didn’t get much better though. Nick accused me of cheating on him with Nathan, of all people. I told him I’d only just met Nathan which Sammie backed me up on, and that Nathan was a bit of a no-go area for me, which Sammie disagreed on, annoyingly enough. Nick told her to shut up once again as it wasn’t her argument and I thought that was totally wrong of him and told him so. This made him moan about how I’m never on his side any more, and I started feeling bad, Sammie had to get off the bus and left me alone with him, and blah, blah, blah. It all got so very confusing.

He started going on about how it seemed like I’d known him for ages again, and why did I hug Nathan right in front of Nick if I’d only just met him. I had to admit that that looked bad, but what about all those times that he hugged girls in front of me? The times he had whole conversations with them leaving me like an awkward spare potato?

I was beginning to get a little bit angry with him, the dear boy, when Sammie texted me saying: “WHAT IS UP WTH NICK? HAS HE GOT AN INSCRITY PROB OR SOMTHNG..? BUT I GUESS HE SHOULD WATCH OUT WTH U ND NATHAN, EH? JK!! XX ;)”

Nick demanded to see it even though I promised him it wasn’t Nathan and that I didn’t even have his number. Luckily it was my stop next. I walked off the bus and he didn’t say a single thing more. Just scowled at me as the bus drove on. Which was quite funny really. But I bit my cheeks to make sure I didn’t smile. It was a sombre moment after all. He might have thought me odd if I started laughing randomly on the street. Yes, that wouldn’t be normal.

At home alone, I felt bad again. Maybe he was only jealous because he loved me and felt very strongly towards me...

I’d leave him to cool off then I’d apologise to him on msn or something.

‘Uh, Persephone,’ dad said tentatively from my left. I turned to him.

‘Oh! Daddy, hey, whatcha doing home so early in the morn'?’

‘...Day off darling...but what have you been doing standing against the door for the last fifteen minutes?’

‘Fifteen?’ I repeated.

‘Yes. Fifteen. That’s when I heard the door shut. I was expecting to hear you stomping up the stairs, but no. Just eerie silence... Scary, eerie silence.’ Oop. Fifteen?

‘Sorry, just, thinking,’ I smiled.

‘School?’

‘Gahh....yyeahhhccchhh...mmmmmmeeeyyeehhassnnnnn...’ I mumbled.

‘O-kay then... Well I’m going to buy a newspaper and milk. You be a good girl,’ he laughed, his terribly deep, loud voice shaking the whole neighbourhood.

‘Sure. Just don’t laugh when you go outside please,’ I sighed as I moved away to let him get to the door grudgingly. He laughed again, shutting the door gustily behind him.

Ah, thinks I’m joking does he...? Seriously. There’s only so much a girl can do.

I readjusted my bag and began to make my way upstairs just as my phone vibrated, showing an unknown number.