<18>

"His name is Alois Muller." Aodh explained, sitting across from me at the table. "He was a psychologist around the time you were being tested on. Do you recognize the name at all?"

I sighed and nodded. "I never saw him, but, I did hear the name Muller quite a bit."

Aodh nodded. "He says he remembers you. And that he is willing to help in any way he can."

"And you believe him?" Steve asked, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms. "An ex-HYDRA agent?"

"He's dying, Steve." Aodh scoffed. "His last dying wish is to do something right for once."

Steve shook his head in thought. "It's still a little weird."

"What's the worst that could happen?" I chuckled. "He's just an old man now. It's not like he can do any real harm."

"But other people can." Steve said sternly. "And I don't trust that he wouldn't have someone there to kill you."

"That's why I'm not gonna go alone, Cap." I said, placing a hand over Steve's as he rested his arms on the table top. "But I am going to try. Maybe this guy really is genuine and just wants to help."

Steve nodded and smiled. "Alright. If you trust him then so do I."

I sighed and looked to Aodh. "When do we go meet this guy?"

Aodh shrugged. "Sometime soon would be good. But, we do have to go back to Germany."

"Of course we do." I huffed.

************************
***************

"Alois, someone is here to see you." The nurse smiled as she entered the room. Aodh, Steve and myself all followed behind her. An old man laid on the hospital bed, smoking a cigar and smiling as he saw us enter.

"Emily." He smirked, speaking with a heavy accent. "You look great as ever. Who have you brought with you?"

"Mr. Muller this is my sister, Aidan and our friend, Steve." Aodh answered, taking a seat next to the bed. Steve and I both did the same. "She's the girl I told you about."

Alois nodded and ordered the nurse out before turning back to me.

"I would like to start by apologizing....Aidan, was it?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"I never wanted to be a part of HYDRA." Alois sighed, putting out his cigar. "They forced me, saying they would kill my family... and so I agreed. I worked with them for over 30 years and they still killed them."

I frowned. "I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry." Alois chuckled, shaking his head. "I should have never agreed. And now look at me. No family and I'm dying."

"And now you want to make things right?" I asked, leaning forward in my seat.

Alois nodded. "I just want to help as much as I can."

"How do I get Sam out of my head?"

Alois raised an eyebrow. "Sam?"

"The other personality."

"Ah." Alois grabbed another cigar and lit it. "You can never truly get rid of it."

I sighed.

"But..." Alois paused to take a long hit of the cigar. He exhaled, the smoke drifting away from him. "You can control it so that it never appears. So that it's as if it were never there in the first place."

"How?" Aodh spoke up.

"You're not going to like hearing this, but you have to make a new set of commands to keep it out. Redo what HYDRA did but to reverse it." Alois explained.

"And how do we do that?" Steve asked. His voice was tense.

"Go to the HYDRA facility and do it all over again." Alois shrugged. "That's the only way."

"Thank you, Alois." I nodded and stood. "Come on guys, we have a lot to do."

Steve and Aodh stood and followed me to the door.

"Before you go." Alois leaned over, opening a drawer and pulling out a small book. He handed it to me. "This has the old procedures in it. Including your process notes."

I nodded. "Thank you."

"No, thank you." Alois smiled. "I can finally die a little less guilty."

I chuckled as I left the room. Steve and Aodh were waiting in the hall for me.

"What's that?" Aodh asked, pointing at the book as we exited the hospital.

"Something that will help."

"And are you really going to do this?" Steve questioned, driving away from the hospital.

"Yup." I nodded, mocking Aodh's signature response. "I'm willing to go through all of it again if it means you guys will be safe."

"What about you?" Aodh looked at me. "You're not worried about yourself at all?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

"What do you think Loki will say?" Steve chuckled.

I shrugged. "He'll most likely try to talk me out of it, fail and then pout about it until this is all over."

Aodh nodded. "You're right."

"I know I am."