<10>

"Stay close, Aidan." Aodh whispered as we walked through an abandoned HYDRA facility. The same facility I was held in.

I froze as we entered the main room. It held ice chambers and the same chair that I sat in for months at a time.

"Come on, kid." Steve waved towards him. "It's alright."

I shook my head, backing away slowly. "I can't do this."

Bucky bumped into me as I was backing out of the room. He held my shoulders lightly and I turned around to face him.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"This is where I was for almost 36 years. I can't do this." I whispered, pulling away from Bucky. He grabbed me again, holding me in place. "Let me go."

"I can't do that." He sighed. "You have to do this if you want to get rid of Sam. I know it's hard, but..."

I frowned, feeling my skin grow warm as I grabbed a small pipe from a shelf next to me. I quickly pulled Bucky's arm away and stabbed him in between two panels of the metal arm that had held me. I ran past him and made my way outside of the building. I fell to the ground, gasping for air as I had, apparently, been holding my breath.

"Aidan." Aodh breathed heavily as he stood a few feet away from me, resting his hands on his hips. "God, I gotta quit smoking."

I scoffed, shaking my head. "You're such an asshole."

"I know." He chuckled, sitting next to me on the ground. "I also know how hard this is for you. But you have to do this, Aidan. The longer you wait the more HYDRA wins. The more Sam wins."

"I am Sam!" I snapped, quickly standing up. "We talk about her like she's another person, but she's not! She is me!"

"That's like saying Bucky is the Winter Soldier."

"I'm not Bucky." I spoke through clenched teeth. "Yes, our situations are similar. But we have been through different things..."

I sighed, looking up at the sky. The clouds grew dark as if it were going to rain and I breathed in as the cool breeze hit me.

"Aidan." Aodh stood next to me, resting a hand on my shoulder. "You can do this. You're the strongest woman I've ever met. The strongest person I've ever met. It's gonna be hard, but it's gonna be nothing compared to what you've already been through. I'm here for you, Aidan. We're here for you, and we will fight by your side until all of this is figured out."

I stood still for a moment before I sighed, dipping my head down. "Alright."

"You ready?" Aodh asked, pulling me close to him. I wrapped my arm around his waist as we began to walk back into the facility.

"I'm ready." I breathed. We stepped back into the main room and let go of each other. I stood next to Bucky, watching as he pulled the small metal pipe out of his arm. The panels moved back into place as he threw the pipe. "I'm sorry, Bucky."

"It's alright." He smiled, patting my shoulder. "You could've done worse."

"I'm still sorry. I shouldn't have done it at all. It was unnecessary."

"Hey." Bucky nudged me with his elbow. "If it wasn't alright I wouldn't say it is. I understand...it's stressful coming back."

I nodded. "Let's just do what we came here to do."

Bucky smiled, leading me to the chair that sat in the middle of the room. I felt my heart sink as I laid back in the chair. I did not miss the cool feel of the metal, or the one bolt that dug into my lower back as I laid there. I rested my arms on the sides of the chair, exhaling shakily. I closed my eyes, squeezing the ends of the arm rests.

"Now what?" I asked with my voice barely a whisper.

"As much as I hate to say it...you need to think of everything that happened up until Sam's first appearance." Bucky said as he set down his gun. "To get rid of her, you have to think back to when she first came to be."

I nodded, keeping my eyes closed. I thought back from the first day all the way to the last. Every feeling rushed through me and it felt as if it were happening all over again. I clenched my jaw as I saw Sam come to life for the first time. She took over after one of the leaders spoke the words. It was the first time the words had ever had an affect on me. I heard the words and every roll of an R that came from the man's tongue.

"Aidan?" Steve spoke. "Are you alright?"

I could barely hear him over the words that were screaming in my head.

"Emotion. Change. Anger. Dark. Space. Depth."

I opened my eyes, gasping for air as my mind cleared. I looked around, furrowing my brows.

"So you're Aidan's little friends."