26. Resolution

Beware of a lengthy chapter ahead. You still need to read each words though. Or else you'll miss the excitement 😁

Umji still remember how everything happened that day. Growing up, she always felt as if there is something missing with her family, within their house. Something always seems to be awry. There's even this weird aura around her parents, as they constantly sniping at each other in silence. And, although she was just a child, and her parents tried their best to act normal in front of their kids and everyone else, disguising as 'the perfect entrepreneurial power couple', Umji wasn't a fool for not being able to sense it. She knew nothing was beyond normal. She was aware that both her parents were not in a good terms.

It wasn't long until on one particular night when she turned 6, her mother disappeared out of the blue. And, while little Namjoon was weeping, asking for their mother, Umji surprisingly wasn't much affected over the news. She acted calm as their father consoled them with sugary words.

"Your mom will be back soon. I promise."

Umji knew that it was no more than an empty promise. She realised it long ago over constant arguments between their parents, somewhere along her father was too busy with his works, and her mother who constantly felt left out as she tried to reignite the spark in their marriage.

And, though their mother did return after 3 nights away from home, she can't denied a sinking feeling in her as she watched they faked a smile, telling them that everything will be fine.

Ever since that incident, somehow both her and her brother seems to have a despicable view of love. It sicks to see how their parents act as loving couple in front of them, in front of their business partners, in front of everyone, but the pain and hurt in their eyes were inevitable every time they faced each other.

And perhaps, that was the very reason Umji distanced herself from others. Unlike Namjoon who coped the problem through his friends, Umji can't seem to forget how a relationship can turn ones into a monster, eating others and oneself for a selfish reason.

Hence, when she was 7, on the first day of school, Umji unknowingly brushed the others aside as they tried to befriend her. At first, she did exerted herself, trying to forge a smile but as the kids start to come with questions regarding her family, she chose not to reply to any of it. Soon after, a rumour circulated in the school, concerning a snobbish girl who feel that she is above others, who think that she is better than anyone else. And that girl, was none other than her.

A few years then went by. It was still fresh on her mind, how miraculous the day was, how that person managed to imprint such a memorable impression, erasing all the sceptical view she had on people or to be exact, love.

She wouldn't have imagined that the day would be special at all. Not when her parents had to depart to Japan for their business deal two days after celebrating her 11th birthday. Nevertheless, being the good child she is, she didn't seem to be troubled much by the fact, as it has been for a while since her parents flew back and forth between Seoul and Tokyo.

Much to her surprise, that night was quite different than the others. It was raining heavily with occasional thunderstorms. And, if there is something Umji can openly talk to others, it will be regarding her fear for the exploding sound of lightning.

Though their two storey mansion was quite full that night with one of her distance aunt and several of Namjoon's friend sleeping over, she can't stop shivering over the thought she will be sleeping alone in her room.