21. Hand

"Now, tell me something about you."
"Tell you about what?"
"Oh I don't know. About yourself."
"Well well. This is the first. You never took an interest in me before." He chuckled.

Eunha's eyes were all over the place, trying to find a reasonable excuse for Jungkook.

"I do. I'm just not sure how should I ask you about it. I mean how come your parents never come to visit us even once after I wake up from my coma? Do they even care about me? I mean I'm their daughter in law after all. Or is it they live in countryside like my parents? That's why it was harder for them to come visit me? Is it?"
"Whoa whoa. Slow down." He swallowed, eyes still on hers,

"I should be sleeping now but since tomorrow is beginning of the weekend, I'll answer your question one by one, alright?" He said as he curved a very wide smile for her.

"I'm all ears."
"First, they care about you. Well, I think they do. You're their only daughter in law anyway."
"You're an only child?"
"It took you this long to ask, huh?"
"I was... preparing myself for some new informations."

Jungkook let out another chuckle as he mockingly nods at his wife.

"Okay. Excuse accepted. May I continue then?"

Eunha only stared at him, squinting her eyes at the latter. His smile becomes wider as he saw her adorable expression.

"Hmm... well, my mom is gone. She is not here anymore."
"What? Where did she go?"
"Hmmmm... to heaven? Maybe? I hope she is. Haha." He let out a very short, mirthless laugh.

".... She's passed away?"

Jungkook gave a soothing smile as he saw her expression turn into sorrow.

Flashback

It was in winter. It is still fresh on his mind how cold the day was. The weather, the air and also his broken heart. He curled himself at a corner of the room ignoring people who keep on staring at him, mumbling something that he refused to listen. He looks down on his feet, most of the time. Occasionally, he went to his father as he called him to bow down to each of them who visit.

Everyone looks the same. Everyone had the same expression. They've been staring at him and his father with dejecting look written on their faces. And, Jungkook hates it.

Jungkook hates it that they all had a similar black outfit. Just like him and his father. The only difference was theirs had a black ribbon on their left arm and those people don't.

Jungkook hates it when they pat his shoulders telling him and his father they'll be fine. Well they don't. And, Jungkook hates it.

"He was just 18." A voice said.

Jungkook tried to shut his ears to those voices. He hates it when they keep saying that it wasn't fair for him when he's just 18. When the day was supposed to be his birthday. He hates it when they look at him sympathetically and walks away like he is a clown in a show. He hates them.

But, Jungkook hates it even more when he can't seem to ignore those people, he can't seem to keep his ears from hearing those comments, and he can't seem to divert his attention from his own mother who is smiling sweetly at him in a frame situated at the centre of the altar.

He just hates it.

And at that very moment, as he keeps his eyes on the hard floor, a hand come and grab him, taking him away from the crowd. Away from the attention.

He quickly rose up his head towards the person. As he squinted his eye, tried to recognise the figure, he saw a beautiful sparkling bright eyes were smiling at him. He knows eyes can't smile. He learnt it in nursery that lips was the one who curved a smile, not eyes. But, hers are different. Hers are smiling at him and were saying something that immediately warm his numb inside.