We walked for about 20 minutes till we say a salon and went in. 

"I've been dying for a pedicure," McKenna said as we entered the empty salon. We examined the racks of nail polish and each chose a colour. McKenna got a deep red colour called 'Ruby Red' and I got a dark shiny blue called 'The Sky is the Limit'. We sat in the chairs and the women in front of us got to work. I didn't pay attention to what they were doing.

"So I was watching this T.V show," Mckenna began carefully, "And there was this girl who had an abusive ex-boyfriend. She hadn't seem him in a while because he moved away. He tricked her into meeting him and he threatened her. What would you do if you were in her situation?"

I mulled over the problem carefully, "Is he still threatening her?"

"Not since they met but he seemed persistent," Mckenna replied, flinching a little as the lady tickled her feet.

"Are you sure this is just a T.V. show?" I asked, judging her reaction from the corner of my eye.

"Yes, of course," She replied but I didn't think she was being entirely truthful. I decided not to push it.

"How did he trick her?" I asked.

"Pretended to be friends with her boyfriend and they went out together"

"And does the boyfriend know what's happened?"

"No," McKenna kept her eyes on the woman at her feet, clipping her toe-nails.

"McKenna," I knew I decided not to push it just a few seconds ago but if this really is going on, I can't ignore it. My problems weren't the only problems. I can't be selfish, I need to there for my best-friend as she has been there for me, "This isn't a T.V. show you're talking about, is it?"

I could see her eyes swimming with tears but that's as far as she'd let them go, "No"

Sympathy, sadness, and anger washed through me, "You need to tell me everything! We need to go to the police or something!"

The women were done painting our toes and left for the polish to dry. I was glad they were done so they wouldn't listen to our conversation.

"No, I'm not calling the police. I don't want to make a big deal out of it"

"Make a big deal?" I repeated, astonished, "This is a big deal! You can't let someone abuse you and get away with it!"

"Charlie, it was years ago. I've made my peace with it. I just want to move on with my life. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have even told you," That stung a little.

"I can't just let this go! He hurt you and he still could!"

McKenna gnawed on her fingernails, "No, I haven't seen him since going out and I don't plan on it"

"But-" I started.

"I'm not going to press charges, end of story," McKenna snapped, visibly agitated.

"I'm sorry," I murmured quickly, not wanted her to be upset with me also.

"No, I'm sorry," She sighed, "I shouldn't have snapped at you. I just can't do what you want me to"

I knew she wouldn't budge on this and, although I didn't want to, I let the police option go. I could always bring it up later.

"Well, if you're not going to press charges, can you promise me one thing?"

"What?"

"Tell Niall. He can't be hanging around someone like that and Niall can protect you. He deserves the truth," I told her.