interview #39 @JadedElegance

1 what's your favorite book? 

It's impossible to choose a favourite, but Edith Wharton's "The Age Of Innocence", Janet Fitch's "White Oleander", and Suzanne Collins' "Hunger Games" series make my list, as well as anything by Paulo Coelho and Jodi Picoult. It may surprise people to know I have a weakness for chick-lit and beach reads. You don't want to know how many Sophie Kinsella books I've read or how much I want more stories about the Devil wearing Prada. It's not what I write, not even close, but yeah--I love that stuff.

 2 if you could gain advice from your favorite author, who would you choose and what would you do?

 I can't necessarily choose a favorite author, but I'd have a drink with George R.R. Martin. I'd want to ask him what it's like to not just write stories, but to build a world that is a second reality for much of your life. I'd ask him if he was ever afraid of the world not being ready for his vision, and also, if it hurt his heart when it comes time to kill off a character. I literally cry every time it's time to say goodbye to one of my characters, and I try to put that level of emotion into the story. I wonder if it gets any easier the 50th time it happens. :P 

3 what's a piece of advice you'd give a newcomer?

 I'd tell anyone new to the site that talent within a bubble doesn't do anyone any good. The best thing about Wattpad is that it's a community. No matter what your thing is--posting on the forums, entering and judging contests, making covers and graphics, reading and critiquing other writers--the best way to bring attention to your own work is to help others. If you're not here to be a part of the community, it shows, and people keep a distance.

 4 what's one of your Wattpad goals?

 I'd love to finish the first book of Immortally Beloved. When I joined Wattpad, I didn't expect to really interact with people much. I just wanted a way to motivate myself to cross "finished a full-length work of fiction" off of my bucket list.

whose your favorite celeb?

 I'm not one of those people who is hugely into celebrities and gossip, but I love Elizabeth Banks, who played Effie Trinket in the Hunger Games. Outspoken women who fight for equality for all people and use their celebrity to make those statements have a special place in my heart.

6 how would you celebrate a publishing deal? 

I'd throw a party, of course! I'm known for making an event of everything.

 7 what do you enjoy most of Wattpad?

 When I'm not writing, I enjoy editing/judging/reviewing for contests. There's a kind of satisfaction in knowing you're helping others, and even if they never know it was you, you inevitably make someone's day.

 8 what is your favorite thing about Wattpad? 

The wide variety of artists and people you'll meet. I'm very liberal, very socially progressive in how I see the world--and some of my biggest supporters have become those who were initially shocked by something I said or wrote. There's so much divisiveness in the world, but creation is this unifying factor.

 9) what's your favorite song? Whose the artist?

 I have trouble with these "favorite" questions. I like different things at different times, for different reasons. Even before I started writing my latest story, there was a playlist. It was like a musical outline of the story I wanted to tell. Whenever I'm down, I listen to Volbeat's "Lola Montez". It makes me smile. 

10) what inspired you to write?

 I started reading when I was two, and by the time I was 8, I'd published my first poem. I lied and said I was 16. I've always had this imagination that doesn't stop creating. In addition to writing, I studied and worked in the world of theatre on a professional level, and I consider music a major part of my life. As a teenager, I became a well-known blogger back when blogging was something new. I think I've always wanted to create and share, to be understood. I've always wanted grand adventures, and life is full of them, but imagination transcends that.

11 Are you still surprised when you gain a new vote, follower or piece of feedback? 

Votes and followers aren't something I tend to notice a whole lot, but when I get positive feedback, it makes my day. A supportive comment can be the thing it takes to get me out of the slump where I feel like an untalented fraud who shouldn't ever write anything.

Request time!

I'm currently working on Book One of a vampire/supernatural series, "Immortally Beloved"

I'm currently working on Book One of a vampire/supernatural series, "Immortally Beloved". It is the journey of a young French noblewoman named Eleni, who suffers great loss, but is given immortality. It explores the past through Eleni's diary, and the present-day Louisiana town in which all the characters reside via narrative. It is a compelling story, but also has a lot to say about history, relationships, social issues, and what it is to be human--even when you're not. The greatest compliment for me is when I hear that this book made someone feel something, and it's something I hear more and more often as time goes on. On the list of things I've ever created, Eleni is very much near the top. I think there's a severe inequality in the vampire genre. Because vampires are usually powerful, charming, seductive, dominant creatures, the protagonists are usually male. I have some faith the genre is ready for a matriarch.