Prologue [Re-Published]

Ross' POV

Max threw a football and our friend Caden caught it. "I can't believe you're going to leave us, Ross," Caden said tossing the football back to Max. I can't believe it either I thought. "Like what are we supposed to do We were supposed to start high school together. But now that you're leaving us," Caden kept talking but I wasn't really paying attention.

Max wasn't saying anything he just kept passing the ball. I kept trying to find something in his face but his expression was plain like stone. I didn't want to leave, but Dad was getting a new job in Washington after Mom left.

Dad would sit in the living room with the windows closed holding a red scarf Mom would wear all the time. He would hold the scarf to his face and sit in the living and wouldn't leave for 3 hours until I called him in for dinner. Then one day I came home from school and he made dinner. When I came home I started to cry and when he asked me why I told him "You're smiling again."

Later he told me we were moving to Washington cause he got a new job. "I don't want to leave Dad!" I screamed at him for an hour and he would tell me he had to get away from all the memories of mom left in the house. "It hurts too much," He said. I didn't want to hurt dad, but I don't want to leave all my friends. Especially Max.

"Come on Ross do you really have to leave?" Caden asked again. Your mouth curls into a smile "Yeah I do. I think Dad really needs it." You keep waiting for Max to say something but he hasn't said a word. Say something please. "I think your dad is here Ross," Caden says pointing to the street where Dad's car is parked and he's waving me over.

"I guess it's time to leave," I say standing up from the bench and brushing off my jeans. I walk over to Caden and give him a one-armed hug. "I'm gonna miss you, you dumb nerd," he said punching you in the arm. I punch back in retaliation "I'll miss you too."

I walk over to Max and his brown eyes seem unreadable. I try to tell him goodbye but he grabs me and pulls me in close for a hug. "I'll miss you too," He says and lets go. Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry. I smile at Max and turn walking over to Dad's car. I open the passenger side door and sit next to dad. "You ready to go Ross?" he asks. I buckle my belt and nod my head.

He drives away and I can see Max and Caden fading into the distance as the care drives farther and farther. I wonder if I'll ever get to see Max again. I feel myself start to cry but this time I only let a few tears come out.

Max's POV

Ross's car drives away and too quickly he drives out of view. I could feel myself wanting to cry but I definitely wouldn't let Caden see me cry. "I'm gonna miss that kid," Caden said. "He isn't some kid Caden. He was is our friend," I snapped back at Caden. He holds his hand up "Woah what got into?"

"Nothing," I said tossing the football back to Caden I turned on my heel and walked away. "Hey man, where are you going?" He asked me. "Home," I shouted back in response but I didn't turn back around. I didn't want Caden to see the tears rolling down the side of my face. I would never hear the end of it.

I didn't want Caden to see me cry, but Ross was gone so all I could do was cry. I knew Ross for over 4 years and me and him have always been close. I guess I didn't' really how close I was until he was gone. I walked down the street and turned right to see my house all the way at the end of the cul-de-sac I lived on.

My house seemed so far away but I was there in about 2 minutes. I opened the front door and I smelled food cooking in the kitchen. "Max is that you honey?" My Mom called in from the kitchen. "Yeah," I called back. "Okay honey dinner will be ready in 15 minutes," She said. I didn't respond and went to my room. A computer sat on the desk next to the large window that covered nearly the entire wall.

I sat down on my bed and on tacked to the wall next to my bed was a picture of Ross and me at the beach a year ago. I pulled the tack out of the wall and held the photo in my hand. I barely noticed tears falling and landing on the picture as I laid down and held the picture close to my chest.

"Will I ever see you again?" I whisper to myself as I lay on my bed sobbing.