Bonus Chapter- The Prayer

Author's Note: Hey kittens, and wow! 25K reads, that's amazing! Thank you all so much, I can't believe how many people have read my book. This bonus chapter is similar to an earlier one, and you'll soon see why. Thank you for reading my story, I hope you enjoy! Feel free to voice your opinion, ask any questions and point out any mistakes I make.

2 years ago

Ivy's POV

I sit in my room, rereading a book series I've been able to keep with me from orphanage to orphanage. As I read about the adventures of Ren, Kishan and Kelsey and immerse myself into their fantastical world, the world around me vanishes, something I am very thankful for.

I don't know how long I stay there, and I'm glad.

"Kids, it's lunch time!" The familiar voice of the orphanage's main chef breaks me out of my trance. I groan in annoyance and put my bookmark in the book, marking where I am for later. I was getting to a good part.

I stomp down the stairs and enter the dining room where the other children in the orphanage are all sitting around the table while people bring out plates with sandwiches and a variety of snacks on them, one plate for each child. I sit in a spare seat at the end of the table, not talking to anyone else. There isn't anyone my age at this orphanage, they're all at least 6 years younger than me. Because of this, I leave them alone and in turn, they leave me alone. Occasionally, one of the workers will tell me to try and play with the younger children, but I just ignore them.

Instead of moving to a new orphanage once every year like I used to, I've been moved whenever I get too annoying or 'unruly' for the workers to handle. They just find me unruly since I ignore most things they say to me. I really don't care though. Most things they say are stupid. They should be happy that I stay inside reading and doing school work instead of sneaking out to party, get wasted and staying out all night but no, they complain that I'm too antisocial. Oh well. I'm fine with being seen as antisocial, if it means the other children will leave me alone.

I sit there quietly eating my lunch, trying my hardest to drown out the annoying sounds of screaming children from around me. I don't know if I'll want to have children when I'm older. I find them too irritating now. Then again, all of the children I've encountered have been abandoned by their parents, so that could affect the way they look at life and how they act.

I still don't like kids.

Once I've finished lunch, I immediately go to run back up the stairs to my room, but I'm stopped by one of the workers, John. He holds his arm out in front of me, effectively blocking the stairs so I can't get passed. I groan and roll my eyes, glaring at John while I lift one of my eyebrows in a questioning manner.

"It's your turn to help with the dishes, Ivory." John smiles creepily down at me. I don't like him either.

I sigh in response and turn back around, stomping my way into the kitchen glumly. One of the workers is already at the sink, scrubbing away at a plate while humming a tune under her breath. When she hears me enter, she turns around and smiles cheerily at me. In my opinion, her smile is too cheery. This place isn't that great, it's just an old, creaky house filled with screaming, pre adolescent children (me being the only exception). I walk over to stand at the sink next to the lady - surprisingly, I don't actually know her name - and still with her too happy smile plastered on her face, she moves over so I can (in theory) take over doing the dishes from her.

Sorry lady, not gonna happen.

I pick up one plate, run water over it, put it in the drying rack thing at the side of the sink, then walk off. The lady only calls for me once I'm nearly out of the kitchen, so I just ignore her. As soon as I exit the kitchen, I start to run. Thankfully, John is no longer there to stop me, and I can escape to my room in peace. My bedroom is actually the only one with a lock on the door, since I'm the oldest and in theory need the most privacy. Well, I'm thankful for that now, since it means that I can keep everyone out.