Chapter 21- The Stitches

Author's Note: I hope you like my story! Feel free to voice your opinion, ask any questions and point out any mistakes I make.

Saber's POV

We all land in the clearing after flying for a few hours, in need of rest. The sun is starting to set, and Wolf hops off of my back, with a sleeping Nia in his arms. I immediately shift into my human form and take Nia from Wolf.

"Thanks for carrying her." I say, staring down at her perfect face.

"No problem." Wolf replies, then walks over to Ivy, who is also in her human form. I think Wolf likes Ivy, but Nia is such a better judge for that sort of stuff. I'll ask her when she wakes up.

Exhausted and yawning, everyone stumbles into the cabin, where Alaric and Meredith immediately walk to me to check on Nia.

"We could smell her blood, place her on the dining room table, we will check her over and patch up as many wounds as we can." Meredith demands. I nod and walk to the dining room, carefully placing Nia on the table. I then look to Alaric

"Mostly everyone has gashes, can you help me look them over?" I ask. He nods and follows me to the living room. We go to everyone, stitching and bandaging wounds, giving pain medication, and ordering them to sleep. The boys camp out in the living room with the girls all sleeping in the guest bedroom upstairs.

I stay in the dining room with Nia as she sleeps the night away. She barely made any noise while Meredith was cleaning her wounds and stitching most of them up. A massive bandage is wrapped around her ribs, Meredith said a few were broken, and even more were bruised. A brace is on her left knee, holding her leg straight so her knee can heal. She also has a sling on her right arm for her shoulder. It hurts to see all of this on her body, that she needs this much healing.

There is barely any skin not covered by stitches or bruises, and tears flow from my eyes as I look at my connection mate's abused body. I hold her hands in mine, rubbing circles against the back of her hands with my thumbs as I patiently wait for her to wake up.

Nia's POV

I groan and wake up in a room I don't recognize immediately. I then realize I'm in the cabin dining room on the table, and Saber is sitting in a chair sleeping, clutching my hands with his own over my stomach.

Releasing one of his hands, I calmly stroke the back of his head. I study my body to see that I look like a mummy, since my whole body is covered in bandages, and underneath, holding my cuts closed, are a lot of stitches. There's a brace on my knee to keep it straight, probably while it mends, and a sling on my arm.

Well, this is great.

"Nia!" Aunt Meredith squeals as she sees that I'm awake.

"Aunt Meredith, please shhhh! Saber is sleeping!" I whisper. She replies quietly

"Oh. Well do you need anything?"

"Can I have something to eat? Oh and some water please." I ask. She nods and goes into the kitchen, coming out with a tall, cold glass of water and a sandwich a few minutes later. I mouth thanks, still stroking the back of Saber's head soothingly.

Grunting, I try to sit up, remembering Uncle Alaric and Aunt Meredith drilling into me the rule "Never eat or drink while lying down." I chuckle, remembering them glaring at me while telling me the rule multiple times throughout my childhood.