20. Afore

afore

PREPOSITION archaic dialect

;before.

"It's an orphanage" he clarified

"It doesn't have windows"

"I didn't say it was a pretty orphanage"

You didn't reply. You were too surprised that he wanted to talk, so all you could do is listen.

"See, I got dropped off there when I was a baby. All I had was a tag. Min Yoongi. Like I was a thing, to be labeled" he spoke with hatred, as if he despised his own name "For all I know, my mother or father could've made it up. I tried finding family, you know? Don't think of telling me how I gave up too soon. I tried. I found no one. No Min's were living in this whole city. That's why I think it's made up, the name"

He got out of the car. You followed suit. It was dark already, and the people were noticing you, following you, looking as if wanting to rob him or something. You felt bad for being quick to judge, but those starving eyes didn't look too kind. But you were wrong. They didn't do anything, they merely watched Yoongi curiously.

After a few minutes of staring at the orphanage, Yoongi called someone. You stood in silence, observing the people who were observing you. It all seemed so animalistic. You were the king and queen, tigers, and they were insects, so deep in the wild that rarely anyone noticed them. Now they stood face to face with the rulers.

He came with a smile, the man in beaten down clothes.

"We didn't know when we'd see you again"

"Hey, come on, you know I always come back"

You watched as the two hugged and then Yoongi introduced you. Yoongi never hugged people. This day kept getting crazier.

The guy was named Alexei. He very sweetly shook hands with you. Yoongi proceeded to ask him about family and how he was doing. Then he pulled out a roll of money.

"Agust-"

"This is for the street. Give it up evenly, and Alexei, I mean it this time, no tricks okay buddy" he teased and Alexei's side grin was the response

"You know I'm not a jerk like you"

"Take care you dumbass" Yoongi waved briefly before going back to the car. You went back to the passenger's seat.

"Alexei was my only friend in that awful place. However, we got split apart. He got adopted, I was left alone, and about eight years later, I was under Mr. M's protection and Alexei was hustling in our old neighborhood. I wish he'd work for me, with me even, but he doesn't want too. He got a girl pregnant a while ago, so he has a family. I come by and supply them with money whenever I can. He's a proud guy; he saves it all for his kid's college fund, as if I couldn't pay for that too"

Yoongi pulled out of the dark ally, driving out of this bad neighborhood and slowly, the poverty faded away, as you went back to the rich part of the city.

"I left the orphanage at fifteen. I lived in shelters for the most part" he spoke with a flat voice "I had jobs in bars, cleaning the floors and stuff like that, enough to get some food. I got fired frequently, so I had to roam around all the time. At one point, I got fired from a solid job I had. I had been secretly taking money for my food, and I agree, it was my fault, but I was starving, I had too. Anyways, I guess I should be grateful they kicked me out. That was the night I met Mr. M"

"And he gave you a home?"

"He didn't just give me a home. He gave me a life"

A teenage Yoongi colored your thoughts in all his angsty and angry expressions, and you couldn't help but smile sadly, wishing you could've helped that small boy. You didn't even know him, yet you felt a strong urge to help him, go back in time, and save him.