Always chapter 24

Hi everyone. Sorry I didn't update 😁 damn end-of-year projects (my school still hasn't finished. Four more days!)

JOSH POV
I hear "All of me" by John Legend playing on my phone. I open my eyes. It's 3 in the morning, who would call me now?

"All your perfect imperfections"

I grab my phone.

"Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you"

I look at the caller ID.

"You're my end and my beginning"

It's Jen. F*ck.

"Even when I lose I'm winning"

My tired mind acts out with on an impulse and I answer.

"Hello?" I say sleepily.

"Hey J-osshhhh" she answers. Shite. She sounds drunk.

"Soooo," she continues. "I was looking around the club and I couldn't find any guys I like...so I thought of you."

I can't tell if she's serious. "Um, Jen. This isn't a good time. You know it's-"

She interrupts me. "I know that...that..." I hear her voice falter and become uncertain. "I lo- I really, really like you. I can't say love yet."

With that she hangs up. I'm left stunned, alone and in the dark. I can't help but wonder, should I really believe her? Or should I just take it as alcohol messing her up? I want to say the latter, but something inside me tells me it's the former.

I debate my options. Get a good night's sleep is not one of them. I need that.

I drift off, with thoughts of Jen swirling around my head.

Beep-Beeeeep beep-beeeeep. I wake up to sounds of my alarm clock. Not the most pleasant. I slowly remember everything from last night. What the hell am I going to do? We're still working on a movie together, starting in two months. We have to resolve this. I sigh. Why me?

I'll regret this, but it's the only step towards solving this.

Zombically, I pour myself a bowl of cereal, brush my teeth, get dressed and open my front door.

My house is only a couple blocks away, so I walk. It's chilly, not cold enough to see my own breath but cold enough that I need a jacket. I wrap my arms around myself to close my jacket and slightly stiffly continue on my walk.

I reach the door and ring the bell. I don't really expect an answer, if she knows it's me.

Nevertheless, the door opens.

"Hey, I just wanted to say I'm sorry. And I know that at one point I loved you. And- and..." I trail off.

"I think I still do. I still love you."

Jen looks at me with sad eyes.

"Josh, it's hard for me to say this but I..."

HEY HEY FAILED CLIFFHANGER ATTEMPT
I'm in class right now but we're in the library playing computer games. All good.