12: Amélie

The Boss.

I never thought I would meet him face to face, at least not when I had an advantage over him.

An adult, about his sixties with short silvery gray hair, a body that wouldn't shame a young man and burning black eyes sat on the cold floor with his clothes torn and dirty with chains tied to his hands and feet.

He looked familiar, I thought, confused.

He looked at us in silence, and although he seemed to have lost all his dignity, his back was straight and his chin was high, as if he were trying to show that Lavender hadn't broken his spirit.

She took his eyes and determination, I thought to myself as I studied his figure in silence.

Lavender smiled sadistically, her eyes sparkling nastily as she advanced slowly toward him, like a serpent writhing before his prey, "It's been a long time, Leandre."

"Ah, my girl, of course you will not call me father." He said with a sullen laugh.

And then I remembered: he's the same boss I meet two years ago, in the Femme Fatale investigation.

"Have you ever acted like my father?" She replied in the same tone.

"Have you ever behaved like my child?" He replied calmly.

"Tu ne m'as jamais voulue!" She screamed at him in French, making me jump. I knew exactly what it meant: You never wanted me.

"You never needed me, my dear." He said with a bitter smile and looked deep into her eyes with his shiny black eyes, "And now you're going to kill me, your father, your flesh-"

"You never treated me like I was even a human." She bent down to him, raised his chin with her finger, and spat at him. "You don't deserve mercy or anything else from me."

She began to beat him with her hands and feet and I watched silently as he took the blows in silence, trying to stifle his moans of pain without success.

I didn't know what to do - protect him and keep her away or let her do it.

It was so wrong, but I wanted to let her kill him. The man is a scum, and he deserves to pay for it.

But who am I to decide what punishment he deserves? I'm a man of law, I'm supposed to protect the rules, and now my values ​​are being tested. If I let her kill him, I won't look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted.

The Boss began to lea out a cry of pain and it seems he couldn't take it anymore. Lavender looked like an angry demon - a scream of rage came out of her mouth as she slammed her leg hard on his hand, and there was a nauseating cracking sound from his broken fingers and a whimper full of pain came out of his mouth.

"Lavender." I said, trying to attract her attention without success; she continued to kick him, this time she kicked him hard in the face, and there was another loud cracking sound and I could see a bloody tooth flying to the floor.

"Lavender, enough." I said harshly. No matter how much I love Lavender, I'm still a man of law. I can't look at her doing it even to a man like The Boss. I'm not sure I'll be whole with myself if I won't stop her.

"Nick, don't interfere. You came here because I wanted you to be present, don't ruin the moment." Lavender said, and I was surprised when she called me by my abbreviated name. Usually she called me Grand garçon or other such nicknames, but very rarely she called me Nick. She must have been too upset now to care.

"Lavender, despite all that was between us, you have to remember that I am a cop." I said decisively, "Lavender, if you want to kill him, I will not take a part in that. Unfortunately I'll have to stop you.: