Dix

She was sitting in the middle of the room, her legs folded under the table, her back straight. I examined her suspiciously through the one-sided mirror, watching her sit comfortably on the chair, looking as if she was waiting for a friend in a coffee shop rather than a police interrogation room.

She immediately gave in to the arrest, threw her weapon and raised her hands in surrender. It was almost too easy, and the mischievous spark in her eyes made me suspicious, and a little nervous.

That and the fact that I knew that if she wanted to run away, she could. She is a professional, and a very smart woman. So how is it possible that only one person managed to subdue her without any struggle?

And why isn't she trying to run away?

Remember the curiosity that killed the cat? Well, that cat is about to get butchered.

I went to the door of the interrogation room, feeling my heart beating quickly and the sweat in my palms when I opened it, trying not to let the pressure I felt on my face.

She lifted her head, and I could see a glimmer of surprise in her eyes that immediately evaporated and replaced by maliciousness. I ignored it and sat on the empty chair in front of her, putting my hands in the pockets of my pants and looked at her blankly.

"So, Lavender," I said mockingly, looking deep into her black burning eyes, as she smiled back at me with a mischievous smile.

"Yes, grand garçon?" I could feel something crawling under the table along my leg, and when I looked down I discovered it was Lavender's leg, moving closer and closer to my crotch.

And I hated to admit it, but it made me hard.

"You know you're deep in trouble, right? Assassinate the prime minister and senior ministers... Or you're brave, or you're an idiot." I kicked her leg off me and moved away from her, trying to control myself.

"I prefer to think I'm a woman with a goal and a vision." She said as if it was a fact, and quickly changed the subject, "How did they let you investigate moi? It's illégal." Her voice was calm, and she was leaning back comfortably on her chair, "This may cause a conflict of interest that may lead to the cancellation of the evidence in your possession."

"Who said I'm here to interrogate you?" I smiled as Lavender's face became unreadable.

"So why are you here?" She asked in a cold voice, her accent stronger than usual. I guessed I managed to irritate her a bit.

"I'm here to tell you that we caught Jasper and he told us everything about you: your real name, how you two met in France, what is your big plan." I lied without hesitation. I just wanted to provoke her, just like she did to me in the masquerade.

She looked down at the table with a hollow look and kept quiet for a few long seconds. I was sure that I succeeded provoking her when she suddenly said, "Did you really expect me to believe that your brother, who hates you, who accuses you of your parents death - do you really expect me to believe he helped you? I thought you already knew I'm not stupide." She looked back at me, her eyes lit up with dark satisfaction as her lips formed a wicked smile.

I froze, completely surprised, "He told you about our parents?"

"Only about your parents? No, not entirely." Her smile turned darker as she rose from her chair and approached me slowly, threateningly, "He told me how when you were kids you pushed him to the river only to impress a girl you had a crush on, and he almost drowned. He told me how your parents always preferred you, partly because of the manipulations you knew how to do from in a young age. He told me what happened to your premier amour. What's her name... Rose? A real shame. Décès seems to surround you in every direction." Décès was a word I knew. Death.