Neuf

"What?! Why?!" I almost yelled at him, my hands tightened into fists.

"Because of your closeness to your brother, the law does not allow me to give you a part in the investigation anymore, which could create a conflict of interest and disruptions during the interrogation."

I blinked once. Twice. I felt the wheels in my brain beginning to work hard.

And then it hit me.

"That's what Lavender wants! That's why she's collaborating with my brother! Lavender always worked alone, until we started the interrogation. What are the chances?! We know that if she wants to, she can murder without leaving evidence in the Scene. She's testing us, me! Chief, you can't do this!" I said, trying to change his mind.

"I'm sorry, Nick, but if I won't keep you away from the investigation, it might be canceled out of fear of disruption of investigation procedures."

"I haven't spoken to him for ten years! I'm not-"

"I'm sorry, Nick," he interrupted me with a sad look in his eyes, "but the law requires me. You know that very well."

Fuck the law, I thought angrily.

I walked over to him, glaring at him, "You'll regret it, she will make sure you will regret it." I promised.

"Nick, take the day off, before it will become a regular vacation without charge." The chief said threateningly.

All this time, Jenny was standing in the background, avoiding my burning gaze, not interfering in the conversation as she bit her lips with frustration. I gave her and the chief one last furious gaze and turned to leave the room.

"Nick..." I heard Jenny's apologetic voice behind me but I didn't stopped, slamming the door behind me.

~X~X~X~

I walked through the corridors of the building, trying to gather my thoughts and to suppress the anger that slowly ate me. What to do next? Was the only thought that echoed in my mind.

I can't stop this investigation, especially not now, when Jasper is involved.

"Nick, are you alright?" Amanda stopped me on my way out of the building, a worried look in her eyes. She looked as usual, and the events of last night didn't appear on her face. Stunning as usual.

But right now I was too angry, and I knew that once I was angry I tended to hurt everyone around me.

"Ask the chief and Jenny." I replied coldly and opened the exit door, trying to escape before I'll cause irreversible damage.

"Nick-"

"I hope you took pills." I said angrily.

She froze, completely confused, "What?" She asked with confusion. The meaning of my nasty words hadn't sunk into her mind yet.

"We slept without a condom. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not interested in kids from a one night stand." I hissed at her.

"Oh. You don't have to worry about that." Her voice was frozen and her face was expressionless. I wondered if it was because I insulted her or that...